Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Posts edited by host and removed

Is there some reason my postings are being edited by host and removed from the discussions? Today I posted the following, and it was removed from the discussions. I have since added it back as it and all other posts I write are pertinent and directly applicable to helping users with their problems:

"Three beeps at startup indicates the problems with your system's RAM modules. Have you performed any upgrades on the system, especially RAM upgrades? If so then open the system back up and try re-seating the RAM modules. If one is loose or otherwise not properly seated for some reason then it may result this error. If the problem persists even after reseating the RAM modules, then try replacing them either with originals or with new modules. If at any point you can get the system to load and not make these beeping sounds, then immediately reboot the system into the Apple Hardware Test suite and perform an extended memory test. This will take a while to run, but if there are any errors shown with this test then replace the RAM modules in your system."

Discussion here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5090768?answerId=22201917022#22201917022

I included a link to information on how to use the Apple Hardware Tests, which my be the spurring factor, but the link does not offer me any compensation or benefit. Folks post links to their own sites, programs, and other external resources on a daily basis. The links I provide are directly applicable to the issue at hand (as is all links I post to). I'm not including it here because I'm getting the sense there is an automatic scanning and removal going on and I'd like to figure out what it is, or at least have some feedback about what is going on.

The emails do not have any way to contact or discuss the issue, and instead only mention the post was removed with a link to the terms of use, of which none apply to my situation. This is the only location I know of for having such a discussion, and I am hoping those involved with moderation can provide specific feedback about this issue.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 17", 2.5GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 8:58 AM

I have noticed that your post was similar to mine's, but I didn't report your post. Normally, the hosts removes replies only when an user has reported it. If the mail that hosts send you didn't include any reason, probably the user who reported your post didn't include any reason.

When you reach level 6, you will get access to the Lounge, where you will be able to discuss this with the hosts. If you want, I can contact with the hosts in order to contact you and tell you why your post was removed

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2013 8:58 AM in response to Topher Kessler

I have noticed that your post was similar to mine's, but I didn't report your post. Normally, the hosts removes replies only when an user has reported it. If the mail that hosts send you didn't include any reason, probably the user who reported your post didn't include any reason.

When you reach level 6, you will get access to the Lounge, where you will be able to discuss this with the hosts. If you want, I can contact with the hosts in order to contact you and tell you why your post was removed

Jun 9, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Topher Kessler

You didn't get an email explaining the reasons your posts were edited or removed? I would review that first.

But looking at a couple of your posts, it may have something to do with this part of the ToU:

No advertising. Do not use the Site to sell or market your products to others and do not post a URL unless it directly answers a user's question. If any portion of your Submission, including any posted URL, results in any accrual of compensation or benefit to you, you must note this in your post by stating, "I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link." As well, the following are not allowed:

1. A submission created solely to advertise a book, service, software or some other item for sale.
  2. Any reference, including a link, to a commercial item that is not directly related to a relevant technical support question or answer. For example: "This post created by Super Post Creator."
  3. You may sign your Submissions with information about yourself. However, this should not include a link to a website. An example of an acceptable signature:
    Justine R.
    Author, "Apple Lisa Communities: Tips and Tricks"

Your posts link to CNET articles you have written. I guess they see that as an "accrual of compensation or benefit to you".

Add the disclaimer to the bottom of the posts to keep them satisfied.

Jun 9, 2013 9:18 AM in response to J.K. ROFLing

Links to CNET do not benefit me at all. At the bottom of each article I've written for CNET it explicitly states I am not an employee of CNET. I do not see any difference if one person reads my article, or a million people do so.

I link there because I wrote the articles and know they are accurate and will help those with their problems, just like others here have written on their own sites, link to them, and similarly offer no disclaimer.

I think everyone's external works here are very beneficial, such as Pondini's Time Machine site, and Thomas Reed's Malware information site. Others link to numerous similar sites, articles, and forum postings all the time. Additionally, people link to tools and utilities (even commercial ones) without such disclaimers.

While I can include a disclaimer that clarifies I do not receive any benefit if that's what will keep folks happy, it is absolutely unfair to require only I do it and not have others do the same for their external works. Apple ought to have this policy apply across the boards for any external link, and not just for select individuals.

Jun 9, 2013 9:23 AM in response to J.K. ROFLing

...and the contents of the email I received are just a generic reply, such as the following:

Please read our Apple Support Communities Use Agreement so that you may discover what constitutes an appropriate post to our service. Section two, "Submissions," is most germane.

Your post, copied below, has been removed from Apple Support Communities. This area is intended to address technical issues about Apple products. Posts that do not conform to the Apple Support Communities Use Agreement are inappropriate.

Please see the Apple Support Communities Use Agreement at https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/tou.html for more information on the proper use of Apple Support Communities.

Each Discussion user is required to agree to these terms before gaining posting privileges. You reserve the right to not post on Apple Support Communities should you disagree with these terms.

If you would like to send feedback to Apple about a product, please use the appropriate selection at http://www.apple.com/feedback As part of submitting feedback, please read the Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy linked to the feedback page.

Sometimes you have comments or concerns for which there is no technical response. If you need the kind of help that a troubleshooting expert can't provide, you can call Apple's Customer Relations group.

Best Regards,
Apple Support Communities Staff

Jun 9, 2013 9:47 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Hi, Topher,

There seems to be a skelton staff of Hosts here on weekends. I see no reason for removal either, unless they think the CNET references violate the TOU.

As far as I know, there's nothing automated to actually remove posts, but I suspect they may have some automation to bring posts with certain suspicious words to their attention (and there are plenty of those!).

They are mere mortals - - hang in there.

Jun 9, 2013 9:53 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks! 🙂 The only thing I can think of along these lines is that MacFixIt (the blog which I contribute to) is in the "reviews" section of CNET, so links are to "reviews.cnet.com...etc." which may appear like a product listing or product review, but it's not at all. The articles are completely separate from reviews, and I never link to product reviews or product discussions of any kind unless they are unbiased outlines centered around decision making for a group of similar programs (ie, Thomas Reed's recent testing of various malware scanning tools), or unless a specific review is already being discussed or is otherwise directly pertinent.

Jun 9, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Hey Topher,

Just to add on, I don't think that you typically receive an email if your post gets removed unless you were the one who started the thread. There have been some exceptions, which might explain the generic email you received. Maybe, just for testing purposes, you could start a new thread and paste the text from your removed post there. That way, if it gets pulled again, you should get a more detailed email. As a side benefit, people will be able to benefit from your advice 🙂.

In the Lounge which mende1 described, occasionally the hosts have said they accidentally removed the wrong post. Although a host has replied to mende's thread, no info as to why the post was removed is known at this time.

Jun 9, 2013 10:28 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

SJF--

I don't think that you typically receive an email if your post gets removed unless you were the one who started the thread.

That's not really correct . . . It doesn't matter who started the thread, it is only the ones outside of the TOU that get removed & receive an email.

Maybe, just for testing purposes, you could start a new thread and paste the text from your removed post there

Not really recommended, SJF. I'm sure it will all be handled.

Topher --

Hang In.

Jun 9, 2013 10:37 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

It would be nice if there was a testing area of sorts where we could post various things and try formatting options and whatnot, but I dont want to make such postings on the main communities as they would just clutter things and perhaps confuse folks, and I also would prefer some direct dialogue instead of having to "test" the system in this way.

I have always received an email with the removals, but their descriptions are vague like the one I posted above, or not applicable (ie, claiming advertising in part, but similarly being vague).

It's had me thinking things there either is an automatic trigger that is flagging the posts, or that someone is regularly reporting my postings as mende1 suggested and the hosts are simply going with that user's claims instead of coming to me about it or looking into it further. Either way, some trigger is clearly biased to my postings as opposed to others.

Hopefully the hosts can shed some light and rectify the situation. I think I've proven to be a helpful, supportive, and active member of this community, and deserve better treatment than this.

Jun 9, 2013 11:05 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Topher,

CNET is a commercial site with obvious advertising. Even though your posts on CNET contain a disclaimer , they give the perception of a professional association with CNET.

If the links you were posting to yours, or another site, that did not have advertising links or obvious forms of compensation, there would be no issue with the posts or links.

The simple way around this is to add the disclaimer "I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link." This avoids any confusion or perceived conflict of interest.

Jeff

Posts edited by host and removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.