Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently imported photos disappear from iPhoto after iPhoto crash

I have a similar situation where I seem to have lost several hours of work (editing and deleting hundreds of photos).

I imported a few thousand photos that were residing in 26 folders on my MacBook Pro hard drive into iPhoto. I imported one folder at a time as I wanted to make sure that I created seperate events for each of the folders. The imports were all successful and created 26 new events within iPhoto. After the import, I edited and deleted many of the recently imported photos from within iPhoto. My edits in iPhoto consisted of Rotate, Enhance, and Straighten. During editing (after I had made several hundred edits and deletes) iPhoto crashed. When prompted, I did send the error report to Apple.

When I re-opened iPhoto, all 26 of my recent imports seem to have disappeared. I can see the new events in iPhoto but they're all empty. However, when I try to re-import the photos, the import process throws up a "Duplicate Photo" notification window asking "Would you like to import the following duplicate photo?" The notification window shows the photo waiting to be imported on the left and an empty box with no image on the right. The import facility clearly thinks that the photo already exists, but the event folder within iPhoto is empty with no photos.

Opening the iPhoto Library folder with "Show Package Contents, I can see the following files/folders there:

AlbumData.xml

Attachments >

Auto Import >

Database >

iLifeShared >

Info.plist

iPhotAux.db

iPhotoLock.data

iPhotoMain.db

iPod Photo Cache >

Library.data

Library.iPhoto

Library6.iPhoto

Masters >

Previews >

ProjectDBVersion.plist

Projects.db

Thumbnails >

Under the Masters folder, a couple of levels down, I can see some empty folders, but can also see files of recent photos that were imported under the second filepath listed below.

Masters > 2013 > 05 > 22 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Masters > 2013 > 06 > 06 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Masters > 2013 > 06 > 09 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Drilling down from the Previews folder, I can also see files of recent photos that were imported as below.

Previews > 2013 > 06 > 06 > 20130606-xxxxxx

Previews > 2013 > 06 > 09 > 20130606-xxxxxx

The relevant software details are listed below:

iPhoto 11 version 9.4.3 (720.91)

OS X 10.8.3

Why are the recently imported photos not showing up in iPhoto and if they are there how can I access them again from within iPhoto?

MacBook Pro, Mid 2012

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 3:05 PM

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2013 3:05 PM in response to schaudhary

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Recently imported photos disappear from iPhoto after iPhoto crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.