Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently updated 'Safari' and now "Installmac" has become my search engine

I recently updated 'Safari' and now "Installmac" has become my search engine....How do I get it back to Google? I already set it to Google by---> (Safari/Preferences/Default Search Engine, Google) but "Installmac" STILL 'takes over' the search...AaaaRghhhhhh >:-/

iMac

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 11:44 AM

48 replies

Jun 9, 2013 3:29 PM in response to Fatboy101

This is happening to me as well. I don't think it had anything to do with a software update from Apple but is likely from some other malware. I have deleted everything I could find - preferences wise - and am unable to determine how to re-install Safari. I can't delete it and it isn't in the store. The only version to download is the old one. I would like help with this issue as well.

Jun 9, 2013 3:41 PM in response to JavaCoderEx

Your problem may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X.

Jun 9, 2013 6:44 PM in response to Fatboy101

Klaus1....

While on iTunes Friday, a message popped up saying there was an update to Safari, so, as usual, when done with what I was doing, I installed/updated my machine, now as I'd mentioned, even though I have Google set as my 'preferred search engine' (or, if I highlight something, right click on it, get the pop-up box with 'search with Google') I get search results but with 'Installmac' (I've attached a screen shot of what happened when I searched for Jethro Tull in Google!)User uploaded file

Jun 9, 2013 6:55 PM in response to Fatboy101

PS...This only happens if I search from the address bar at the top of the screen (where I ALWAYS search from) NOT if I go to "Google.com", it will stay with Google if I do it that way.......I have Google saved as a bookmark so I know it's only 1 extra click but I'm more concerned as to WHY it's happening

PPS....I have an iMac

THANKS!

Jun 11, 2013 2:52 PM in response to Fatboy101

I'm not familiar with anything that sets your search engine to "search.installmac.com," so I can't tell you precisely what to look for. However, it's almost certainly an extension that is installed in Safari. Go to Safari's preferences window and click the Extensions button. What does it show there? Try disabling extensions, one at a time, and see when the problem goes away.

Jun 11, 2013 4:47 PM in response to andyBall_uk

'optional' software installs via Genieo, branded 'installmac' but owned by them .

Can you be more specific about that? The variants of Genieo I'm familiar with use search.genieo.com as the search engine. Is "installmac" one of their partners, and does the Genieo installer for them use search.installmac.com instead? (Unfortunately, the page that used to link to all of Genieo's partners seems to require logging in with a Google account now.) Where might I find this variant?

I recently updated 'Safari' and now "Installmac" has become my search engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.