Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best software for data recovery

Help please! I had my iphoto library in my Google Drive folder. I didn't realize it was there and so I put my Google Drive in the trash and now I don't have my photos. Does anyone know of any low cost data recovery software? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 3:39 PM

11 replies

Jun 9, 2013 3:41 PM in response to Jonvieth2

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Nov 28, 2013 1:53 AM in response to Jonvieth2

There is no best data recovery software. The one that can help you and you like is the best software.

I was browsing for customer reviews on good HDD enclosures and came upon this thread.

I have had good success several times with TestDisk. It is a command prompt only method, but it has recovered data for me several time. Be sure to read the tutorials available at their website before attempting it..

I have recovered data from small thumb drives upto a 500G with testdisk.

Cheers and best of luck
Rosina Ricci

Jan 5, 2015 2:04 AM in response to Jonvieth2

Since this was in your Google drive folder that can be recovered within a limited time:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2405957?hl=en

"If you can't find a file or folder in All items, Trash, or by searching, it may have been permanently removed from Google Drive or deleted by someone else.

If you use Google Drive with a consumer account, you can contact us to help recover a deleted file or folder for a limited time, but you must be the owner of the file or folder. You're the owner if:

• You created the file or folder in your Google Drive account
  • You uploaded the file or folder into your Google Drive account
  • The original owner transferred ownership to you and you accepted"

best software for data recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.