Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problame connecting iphone to pc and charging

hello,

I have been having a hard time connecting my iphone to the pc or the wall ac plug.

when I plug it in, some of the time the icon changes and the device charges normaly, some of the times i get a worning that the iphone cannot be charged when "this device" (ie the charger) is connected, and most of the time, nothing happens when i plug it in.

I have contacted the chat support service, he sugested that I should backup and restore.

I did back up using icloud HOWEVER since I can't connect the iphone to the pc, I CANT RESTORE IT.

As I wrote befor, when i plug it in, nothnig happends and the iphone doesnt show on my Itunes.

And one more thing, when i plug the device, though it doesn't connect, it seems like there is some degree of charging,

I mean, if it is pluged in all night, i may reach the 80%.

please help.

here is a tanscrtipt of out chat:

Sunday, June 9, 2013 09:35 PM
Duration: 0 seconds

Lee:
Hello, My name is Lee! Welcome to AppleCare Support! Please give me a few moments to look over your information. Please note: In the event that our chat is disconnected due to a system/connection issue, I'll email you your case number, so you can chat or call us back, and we can pick up where we left off!

Izik:
hello..

Lee:
Hello Izik, how are you doing today?

Izik:
i'm doing well.. thanks.. you?

Lee:
Good to hear that you're doing alright! I'm great, thanks for asking! From what I can see here in the pre-chat notes you provided, it looks like you're needing assistance with the battery for your device. Is this correct?

Izik:
i'm trying to charge my iphone, and it wouln't make a connection..

Izik:
the problame started after i updated the ios

Izik:
sometimes when i restart it, it connects.. sometimes it works after i unplug it and plug it back a few times

Lee:
I'm very sorry to hear that you're having issues with charging and connecting your device but I definitely want to do everything within my power to try and get everything working for you! Is this ok?

Izik:
sure

Izik:
what do you think couses the problem?

Lee:
I would like to check a few things to see if there's anything obvious causing the issue. If I don't see anything out of the ordinary, we may want to move ahead and either reset some settings on the device or backup the device and restore the software, which is very easy. We will definitely check everything out first, is this ok?

Izik:
oh and when it is pluged.. it gets charged super slow.. like all night long to charge to 80% but the icon doesn't change

Izik:
yeah i'm with you

Lee:
Lets first take a look at the issue with connecting to the computer. Could I have you connect your phone to your computer for me please?

Izik:
it is pluged in but doesn't connect

Izik:
sometimes it does.. sometime it doesn't.. now it wouln't connect

Lee:
Could I please have you try a different USB port on the computer to see if it connects?

Izik:
ok..

Izik:
still the same

Izik:
and it's a port that works for sure

Lee:
Thanks for that information Izik.

Lee:
I'm going to have you check to see what version of iTunes you have on your computer. Do you see options like File, Edit and View towards the top of your iTunes window?

Izik:
wait i'll start that itunes

Izik:
i see a list of song that i downloaded a year ago

Lee:
Do you see options like File, Edit and View towards the top of your iTunes window on your computer?

Izik:
no i dont...

Izik:
there is an icon in the top corner

Lee:
Thanks for that info. Is the icon in the top-left corner and does it look like a black and white box?

Izik:
when i click on it.. i have the options "new, library, itunes store,, etc

Lee:
Could I have you click on the arrow on the right of the black and white box and choose Show Menu Bar?

Izik:
oh ok.. now i see it

Izik:
it was hiden

Lee:
Great!

Izik:
what do you want me to do?

Lee:
Now if I could have you click on Help at the top and About iTunes. There should be a windows that scrolls up and says if you have iTunes 10 or iTunes 11.

Izik:

Izik:

Lee:
Thanks for that Izik. Sounds like iTunes should be able to recognize the phone then.

Izik:
since we began to chat, i charged 1%

Izik:
but still doesn't connect

Lee:
Do you know if you have any security software installed on your computer?

Izik:
i dont think so

Izik:
i'm prety sure i dont

Lee:
Excellent job of troubleshooting so far Izik.

Lee:
Since you have already done a great job so far, our next steps would be to backup and restore the device as new using iTunes. Have you ever restored a device using iTunes before?

Izik:
the last time i treid it faild to backup and erased half of my phonebook

Lee:
I understand your concerns Izik. Are you familiar with how to share your contacts with iCloud?

Izik:
i am new to icloud

Izik:
i didnt have it on my last IOS

Lee:
That's ok. Would you be interested in sharing your contacts with iCloud?

Izik:
sure.. just tell me how

Lee:
Perfect. Could I have you press the Home button to go back to your Home screen with your app icons, go into your Settings and then select iCloud?

Izik:
ok... and then?

Izik:
backup and storege?

Lee:
Does iCloud show that you're signed in with an Apple ID and do you have on and off switches?

Izik:
yes

Lee:
Is the Contacts switch turned on?

Izik:
yes

Lee:
What is your Apple ID email address that you're signed into iCloud with?

Izik:
it's zicadiga@gmail.com

Lee:
How many contacts do you believe you have on your phone?

Izik:
about 200 i think

Lee:
So I'm seeing that many contacts on iCloud so we should be good. Would you now be comfortable with backing up and restoring your phone using the computer?

Izik:
ok yeah

Lee:
Good! Izik, I would like to share some articles with you so we can make sure all of our bases are covered. Could you please right-click on the following links and "Open In New Window" so we don't get disconnected from this chat? Here are the following articles: How to back up, Restoring iOS Software. Let me know if you can view these articles ok.

Izik:
i opend them

Lee:
Super! We'll want to first start with the How to back up article under the section iTunes: How to back up.

Izik:
ok i allready did that.. i backed it up

Lee:
Ok, so now we'll want to start the restore process.

Izik:
oh wait... it is backing up now

Lee:
Sure, I can wait.

Izik:
it looks like it's gonna take a while

Izik:
does it also back up photos? cuz if it does, it'll take a lot of time

Lee:
Yes it also backs up photos. So do you feel comfortable with with going through the steps in the provided articles on your own?

Izik:
i dont know if it is related but i keep loosing rec
eption

Lee:
Reception should not be related with charging and battery issues.

Izik:
it goes from 0-3 bars

Izik:
oh.. ok.. then

Izik:
what do i do if after restoring, the problem doesn't get solved?

Lee:
If restoring doesn't resolve the issue then you can chat back in with the case number 454055082 and we can help assist further.

Lee:
Here is the game plan we should follow with the restore: Go ahead and let the device finish the restore. If it asks at any point to restore from a backup, please select no. We want to make sure it gets restored like a brand new device out of the box. Once the device is restored, you can follow the setup screens on the device to set it up like the first time you used it.

Lee:
Don't restore from any backup or put any content on the device just yet. Once the device is set up, I would like for you to test it to see if the issue persists.

Izik:
there is one problem

Izik:
the 1st step is to connect the iphone to the pc

Izik:
2nd step is to select it once it apears on i tunes.. but that doesn't happend

Lee:
Do you have a button in the top-right corner of the iTunes window on the computer that says iPhone?

Izik:
i feel kind'a silly but no

Izik:
i have "search library", itunes store

Lee:
Could I have you click on View at the top and select the Show Sidebar option?

Izik:
ok...

Lee:
Is the phone showing up on the left sidebar under Devices?

Izik:
i see music, movies, TV shows, apps, itunes store, home sharing, genius that's it no devices

Lee:
Could I please have you unplug your phone and plug it back in?

Izik:
nothing happend

Izik:
it wouln't connect to the pc

Izik:
nor to the plug on the wall

Lee:
Could I have you try plugging the phone into a different USB port?

Lee:
On the computer?

Izik:
we allready tried that... it doesn't work in any port..

Izik:
but i tried it anyway just now...

Lee:
Could I have you try restarting the phone to see if you're able to get it to connect?

Izik:
should i finish backing up first?

Izik:
for the last 10 min's it is stuck on "14 mins to finish"

Lee:
Yes you should wait for the phone to finish backing up before you try anything else. If the phone is currently backing up then that means it's connected.

Izik:
i thought that it backs up on the internet

Izik:
and not on the pc

Lee:
Are you currently backing up through iCloud and your WIFI or are you connected to the computer and used the iTunes steps to back up?

Izik:
im backing up with icould an wifi

Izik:
trying to back up*

Izik:
i dont understand this, not it says 17 min lest to finish

Izik:
now*

Lee:
So the backup may have shortened to only being 17 minutes. Once the backup is done then we'll need to follow the steps on restoring using iTunes on a computer.

Lee:
If we have any issues with restoring then we may need to try some other options and steps. Did you want to chat back in when you're done backing up and are ready to restore?

Izik:
sure.. ok but the problame remains.. it doesn't connect to the pc

Izik:
therefor i have no way to restore it with i tunes

Lee:
There are some other steps we can try with connecting to the PC like forcing the device into recovery mode

Izik:
oh.. ok..

Izik:
so.. do you want to come back after i finish backing up? or would i continue with someone else?

Lee:
You would probably continue with someone else but I'll be leaving notes in our case.

Izik:
ok then...

Lee:
Did you have any other questions or concerns, or was there anything else you needed from me before we go? You are my number one priority, so I want to make sure everything is satisfactory before we end this chat.

Izik:
everything's good, you have been very kind and helpfull.
have a good morning/day/night

Lee:
Izik, it was a pleasure working with you today. I hope that you're satisfied with the support I've provided. If you have a few seconds, please answer the 5 short questions that will pop up when you click "end chat" in the top left corner. I hope you have a great rest of your day! Regards,  Lee B. iOS Tech Advisor Apple, Inc.

iPhone 4

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 9:55 PM

There are no replies.

problame connecting iphone to pc and charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.