Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I keep columns together in a table, but have the rows in each column be free-form?

Basically, when you make a table, how ever much you type in one cell of one column, all the cells in that row become that same size (even if they have less text). Is there any way to get around this? I want the rows in each column to be independant of the rows next to eachother. Like two 1-column tables that share and edge. Does that make sense?

Header 1Header 2
little text

If I put a lot of text here though, it makes the cell to the left use the same amount of space. Is there anyway to stop this and make the rows free

?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 9:49 PM

9 replies

Jun 11, 2013 4:39 PM in response to acousticguitar7

Pages, as you have discovered, does not support splitting or merging individual cells.

Numbers does, though, so if you also have Numbers, you could construct the table there, then paste it into a Pages document.

User uploaded file

The result is a single table. Cells in column B were merged in Numbers, but a similar result could be achieved by splitting cells in column A. Limited adjustments to individual cell boundaries are available in Pages, but I would suggest doing this, as far as possible in Numbers.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this solution, due to the limited flexibility of the resulting table in Pages. Your requirements may differ, though.

Regards,

Barry

Can I keep columns together in a table, but have the rows in each column be free-form?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.