Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to combine libraries in Aperture?

The hard drive on which my Aperture library currently resides has run out of space and I've added another drive, creating a new library on it. The trouble is if I run Aperature with that library open then all that I see are the photos on that drive. In order to see all of my photos at one time do all of the libraries need to be on the same drive? If so, what's the best (safest) way to combine these onto the new drive?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.66 Ghz Quad Core

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 8:29 AM

. In order to see all of my photos at one time do all of the libraries need to be on the same drive?

In order see all your photos at the same time, they need to be in the same Aperture library. Merge your libraries again, by importing one library into the other.

If none of your drives is large enough to hold all images in one single library, turn your libraries into referenced libraries - relocate the original image files out of your library onto a separate drive to make space for more photos in the library on your main drive. To relocate the original image files to another drive use the command "File > Relocate Originals".

See : Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced ImagesAperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

Regards

Léonie

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2013 8:29 AM in response to Andy Drefs

. In order to see all of my photos at one time do all of the libraries need to be on the same drive?

In order see all your photos at the same time, they need to be in the same Aperture library. Merge your libraries again, by importing one library into the other.

If none of your drives is large enough to hold all images in one single library, turn your libraries into referenced libraries - relocate the original image files out of your library onto a separate drive to make space for more photos in the library on your main drive. To relocate the original image files to another drive use the command "File > Relocate Originals".

See : Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced ImagesAperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

Regards

Léonie

Best way to combine libraries in Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.