Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule - stuck on Preparing for 17 hours (first backup)

Have had several problems with Time Machine with this iMac. Previously tried WD My Book Live (wireless) and Seagate FreeAgent (Hard Wire). Both were “spotty” at best for Time Machine backup. Seagate stopped working a couple of months ago and I decided to give up and go for a Time Capsule in the hopes that “Apple would work best with Apple”. . . .

I’m on the “first” backup on this new Time Capsule – it has been stuck on “Preparing” for 17 hours now. . . .

Please see the file in this link for all of the logs, screen shots, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbhc29xcoadumgs/Time%20Machine%20-%20new%20Time%20Caps ule%20-%20June%209.pdf

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Time Capsule (May 2013) 2TB

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 9:17 AM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2013 1:14 PM in response to Rainyvanc

Rainyvanc wrote:

. . .

I’m on the “first” backup on this new Time Capsule – it has been stuck on “Preparing” for 17 hours now. . . .

See #D1 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

But it doesn't look like you've gotten a message since the Ownership disabled.. one. It should have started copying within a few moments.

(By the way, an easier way to get the widget messages is to click in the message area, the Cmd+A to select all, then Cmd+C to copy to the clipboard. Then you can paste anywhere.)

After the steps in #D1 above, I'd recommend cancelling the backup and erasing the TC's disk via Airport Utility (see the green box in #Q5 ofUsing Time Machine with a Time Capsule).

Then connect via Ethernet for the first full backup. It will still take a while (perhaps 25-35 GB/hour overall), but 2-3 times faster than a good WIFI connection.

If that doesn't help, post back with your results.

Jun 10, 2013 2:14 PM in response to Rainyvanc

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter the word "Starting" (without the quotes) in the String Matching text field. You should now see log messages with the words "Starting * backup," where * represents any of the words "automatic," "manual," or "standard." Note the timestamp of the last such message. Clear the text field and scroll back in the log to that time. Select the messages timestamped from then until the end of the backup, or the end of the log if that's not clear. Copy them (command-C) to the Clipboard. Paste (command-V) into a reply to this message.

If all you see are messages that contain the word "Starting," you didn't clear the search box.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don't post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Some personal information, such as the names of your files, may be included — anonymize before posting.

Jul 24, 2013 3:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

So my time machine has been preparing backup for days now.

I stopped it and started it again to get a fresh log from the console, as you recommended.

The following seems to appear in the log whenever the backup is supposed to start. I am not sure what to do to fix it.

7/24/13 3:53:06.543 PM GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon: -[KeystoneDaemon logServiceState] GoogleSoftwareUpdate daemon (1.1.0.3659) vending:

com.google.Keystone.Daemon.UpdateEngine: 2 connection(s)

com.google.Keystone.Daemon.Administration: 0 connection(s)

7/24/13 3:52:34.858 PM com.apple.backupd: Starting standard backup

7/24/13 3:52:35.081 PM com.apple.backupd: Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://DYLAN%20BRUNJES;AUTH=SRP@Flower-Time-Capsule.local/Time%20Capsule

7/24/13 3:52:43.557 PM com.apple.backupd: Mounted network destination at mountpoint: /Volumes/Time Capsule using URL: afp://DYLAN%20BRUNJES;AUTH=SRP@Flower-Time-Capsule.local/Time%20Capsule

7/24/13 3:52:43.618 PM mds: ERROR: _MDSChannelInitForAFP: AFPSendSpotLightRPC failed -1

7/24/13 3:52:43.000 PM kernel: AFP_VFS afpfs_mount: /Volumes/Time Capsule, pid 3939

7/24/13 3:52:54.899 PM com.apple.backupd: QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

7/24/13 3:52:57.283 PM fseventsd: could not open <</Volumes/Time Machine Backups/.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuid>> (No such file or directory)

7/24/13 3:52:57.437 PM fseventsd: failed to store the uuid in /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuid. unlinking it.

7/24/13 3:52:58.186 PM com.apple.backupd: Disk image /Volumes/Time Capsule/DYLAN BRUNJES’s MacBook (2).sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

7/24/13 3:52:58.195 PM com.apple.backupd: Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

7/24/13 3:52:59.602 PM com.apple.backupd: Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

7/24/13 3:52:59.602 PM com.apple.backupd: Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

7/24/13 3:52:59.603 PM com.apple.backupd: Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Dylan's Macbook

7/24/13 3:52:59.623 PM com.apple.backupd: Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

7/24/13 3:52:59.819 PM com.apple.backupd: Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

7/24/13 3:52:59.829 PM com.apple.backupd: Exception writing exclusions cache. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

7/24/13 3:52:59.829 PM com.apple.backupd: Unable to create exclusions cache data.

7/24/13 3:52:59.831 PM com.apple.backupd: Failed to write exclusions cache. Continuing anyway.

7/24/13 3:52:59.832 PM com.apple.backupd: Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException:*** -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: No space left on device

7/24/13 3:52:59.886 PM com.apple.backupd: Waiting for index to be ready (101)

7/24/13 3:53:06.543 PM GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon: -[KeystoneDaemon logServiceState] GoogleSoftwareUpdate daemon (1.1.0.3659) vending:

com.google.Keystone.Daemon.UpdateEngine: 2 connection(s)

com.google.Keystone.Daemon.Administration: 0 connection(s)

7/24/13 3:53:06.562 PM GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon: -[KSUpdateEngine updateProductID:] KSUpdateEngine updating product ID: "com.google.Keystone"

7/24/13 3:53:06.568 PM GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon: -[KSCheckAction performAction] KSCheckAction checking 1 ticket(s).

I do have parallels on so I have tried excluding it from the backup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Time Capsule - stuck on Preparing for 17 hours (first backup)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.