Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the way mail delete works?

Before we "upgraded" to Mountain Lion, if I deleted a message, it would automatically go to the next message, no matter what. Now if I mark a message as unread, then go to the next message, then decide to delete that, it would automatically go to the next (third) message in the list. Now, after deleting the second message, it pops up to the first message instead of going to the third. It does this if the third message is read or unread, no difference. How can I stop this. It is MOST aggravating.

BTW, it is saying my "product" is a macbook with OS 10.6.8, but it really 10.8.3

Thank you.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 11:32 AM

2 replies

Jan 22, 2014 8:14 AM in response to Debwoolsey

I've recently had an upgrade to 10.8.5 and now have this problem too.

The behaviour seems to be:

I select an email, part way through my inbox, read it and delete / file it.

If there is an unread email above the just deleted one (adjacent or way above and off the page) then the next message shown will be the one above the one I moved.

If there is no unread email above then the next message shown will be the one below.

I usually sort in date (oldest up) and work down from some point to the recent ones. Occasionally I'll try and work through all the mail from a given sender. This change in behaviour makes both these use cases hard work.

If I'm trying to deal with the easy mails in a short gap this slows me down. I know the unread ones are there, I don't need mail to be semi-smart at me.

I've tried with com.apple.mail IgnoreSortOrderWhenSelectingAfterDelete set to zero and to one and the behaviour is the same. Anyone know of a switch to get the simple "working through a list in logical order" behaviour back?

How can I change the way mail delete works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.