1 20 21 22 23 24 Previous Next 461 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 3:40 PM by Marsdy Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 315. Re: The new Mac Pro
    davshev Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    That's fine....if all you want is software available via download.

  • 316. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Bill Butler Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

     

    ... Apple doesn't have to replace the media with anything because the computer industry already has: the USB flash drive. ...

     

    Hate to break it to you, but Apple is a subset of the computer industry, not the whole. The vast majority of PC makers include CD/DVD drives/burners in their desktop machines. In fact, Apple isn't even in the top five of PC market share (which includes desktops and laptops). That would be Dell, HP, Lenevo, Acer, Toshiba.

     

    See, Apple has been concentrating on mobile devices. They have used their market power in that field to influence the industry. But if Apple thinks its minority position in the desktop/laptop business gives it the clout to declare optical drives dead -- when the majority opinion is they aren't -- well, good luck with that.

  • 317. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Bill Butler Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

     

    Apple isn't replacing the optical drive with anything.

    Did you miss the issuance of current versions of Mac OS X via download, the existence of The Mac App Store, and iTunes? Apple is replacing has replaced the optical drive with Download.

     

    Really? Another poster says it's replaced the optical drive with thumb drives. I guess we'll just have to wait for Apple to clarify to the world what they should do with a billion-plus CD/DVD players. Because, like, no one's using them. Cough.

     

    Anyway, your argument is a non sequitur. The existence of downloads for software and media does not equal the demand for optical drives. And since every other desktop and laptop maker includes optical drives, arguing that the exception makes the rule is silly.

  • 318. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Martin Pace Level 5 Level 5 (5,090 points)

    I did a Google search and found that a lot of people do use their optical drives.

     

    original.jpg

    There's also no SDXC card slot on the new Mac Pro even though every other computer in Apple's line up has one.

  • 319. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (41,525 points)

    Cute one, Martin.

     

    Reminds me of the service call where the users was complaining that the mug holder on the PC was broken.

     

    Allan

  • 320. Re: The new Mac Pro
    FatMac>MacPro Level 4 Level 4 (2,390 points)

    Bill Butler wrote:

     

    FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

     

    ... Apple doesn't have to replace the media with anything because the computer industry already has: the USB flash drive. ...

     

    Hate to break it to you, but Apple is a subset of the computer industry, not the whole. The vast majority of PC makers include CD/DVD drives/burners in their desktop machines. In fact, Apple isn't even in the top five of PC market share (which includes desktops and laptops). That would be Dell, HP, Lenevo, Acer, Toshiba...

    Try reading what I wrote, not what you think sounds better for your argument.

     

    The fact that the USB flash drive can be used across platforms with the proper formatting means that while Apple is just a piece of the pie, files can be transferred among the other slices as well as among Macs. So the need for support for some other common media is reduced. Moreover, if I remember correctly, the computer industry used to use serial ports; I believe it was Apple that started the move to USB as the standard for connection. I didn't agree back then, but Apple turned out to be both right and trend-setting. Indeed, the Lenovo laptop I got last year doesn't have an optical drive either; it needs an external USB optical drive.

     

    Maybe the trend is beginning.

  • 321. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Bill Butler Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

     

    Bill Butler wrote:

     

    FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

     

    ... Apple doesn't have to replace the media with anything because the computer industry already has: the USB flash drive. ...

     

    Hate to break it to you, but Apple is a subset of the computer industry, not the whole. The vast majority of PC makers include CD/DVD drives/burners in their desktop machines. In fact, Apple isn't even in the top five of PC market share (which includes desktops and laptops). That would be Dell, HP, Lenevo, Acer, Toshiba...

    Try reading what I wrote, not what you think sounds better for your argument.

     

    The fact that the USB flash drive can be used across platforms with the proper formatting means that while Apple is just a piece of the pie, files can be transferred among the other slices as well as among Macs. So the need for support for some other common media is reduced. ...

     

    I did read what you wrote. Perhaps you should as well. You wrote: "Apple doesn't have to replace the media with anything because the computer industry already has: the USB flash drive." [Emphasis mine.] Then you walk back your assertion by saying "the need for support for some other common media is reduced." Reducing the need for optical drives ain't the same thing as saying it's been replaced.

     

    The optical drive has not been replaced. Apple is clearly abandoning it, but the world is not. Also, I suspect that since Apple's new desktop machine is clearly not a Mac Pro, despite the name, many Mac Pro users will hold onto their machine and upgrade them. Which is good news for us lower-end users, because bargains await us. There's a silver lining to this.

  • 322. Re: The new Mac Pro
    FatMac>MacPro Level 4 Level 4 (2,390 points)

    Bill Butler wrote:

     

    I did read what you wrote. Perhaps you should as well. You wrote: "Apple doesn't have to replace the media with anything because the computer industry already has: the USB flash drive." [Emphasis mine.] Then you walk back your assertion by saying "the need for support for some other common media is reduced." Reducing the need for optical drives ain't the same thing as saying it's been replaced.

     

    The optical drive has not been replaced. Apple is clearly abandoning it, but the world is not. Also, I suspect that since Apple's new desktop machine is clearly not a Mac Pro, despite the name, many Mac Pro users will hold onto their machine and upgrade them. Which is good news for us lower-end users, because bargains await us. There's a silver lining to this.

    Since I'm clearly dealing with a lawyer here let's see:

     

    replace - fill the role of (someone or something) with a substitute.

     

    The USB flash drive does that by providing cross-platform media which can fill the role that optical disks did and "replacing" does not require "elimination" of what's being replaced. The rest of the computer industry didn't  support USB when Apple did but it does now, and with flash drives leveraging the USB port, now there's media in common. And the fact that some PC's being released don't have optical drives either suggests that rest of the industry is beginning to move that way too. It's also significant that software downloads are becoming a growing part of software distribution as they substitute for delivery on optical disks. Could it be said downloads are "replacing" disks for software distribution?

     

    I should add that I'm glad my Mac Pro has an optical drive and was disappointed that the rMBP didn't (I had to buy the USB external). But I see their use diminishing over time and Apple just appears to be ahead of the curve again.

  • 323. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Leslie Bell Level 2 Level 2 (340 points)

    Look. Take it from someone who regularly burns Blu-ray and DVD and DVD-A discs to distribute to clients. Who railed against Apple AND Steve Jobs personally all over the net. Who held off from buying a Mac Pro for years because it wasn't incorporating Blu-ray the way it should and would have if Apple had never entered the fad toy market.

     

    Don't waste your time or breath. You will never convince anyone of your truth, or get them to understand or recognize your needs. Unless they have them already.

     

    I eventually bought the bullet and bought two towers, one has an external Blu-ray drive and the other has an internal one. Use them daily.

     

    And you want to know the magic of the New Mac Pro? BOTH of those towers are not going anywhere when it arrives, being used as nodes for 3d rendering, logic, and fcp rendering. In fact, the drives will be EASIER to reach once UNDER the desk.

     

    My experience has been that Apple, no matter the reason, will never go backward once they've made up their minds, even if they are 10-15 years ahead on an issue. Which they are with optical media.

     

    And wisely they haven't chosen to wage a losing war against optical media, by making it IMPOSSIBLE to utilize it with the OS and the new computers.

     

    Really, there's nothing wrong with peripheral hardware other than asthetics. For one issue Apple cares more about function than asthetics and some of us scream.

     

    I'm looking forward to the new Mac Pro (FINALLY!) and will enjoy adding it to my farm. When I only had one tower I linked it to two iMacs to get more processing power for a huge render project, and THAT was ridculous looking. But it worked.

     

    You do what you have to do, in spite of Apple. And until you sit on that board or can get millions to scream (like with glossy screens and the original disaster of FCX) they aren't listening. Here or anywhere else.

     

    I don't know, it COULD be a strategy by Apple to force more users to hold onto their current Mac Pro Towers with the drives, to throttle a thriving used market that will probably only grow once the new Mac Pros come out. If it is, it will probably work. What else would you expect from a corporation.

  • 324. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Terina Morris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I'm not sure if this is an appropriate space for this point, but here goes. I am beyond frustrated with the lack of committment for the Mac Pro. I've held off buying a much needed systems, literally praying for some sign that the Mac Pro would come before Dec. 31, 2013. With all the 'leaks' for all the other iCrap, does anyone feel as frustrated as I am? I'm almost in tears typing this now. I can't afford to go to a Windows (Yuck!), all my software is for Mac. But showing a working prototype for a machine they seem really disinterested in producing is painful. My work has suffured because of my loyalty as an Apple customer.

     

    I guess I'm in need of a pep-talk. But I feel like a complete fool for my loyalty.

  • 325. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (41,525 points)

    Personally I am reserving judgement until Apple tells me more. In the usual Apple fashion, I see this as either going really great or really horribly. With what has been said so far I don't feel I can tell which way this one is going yet.

     

    Allan

  • 326. Re: The new Mac Pro
    GSVNotInventedHere Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    If you are in Europe Terina, you have not been able to buy new Mac Pro systems since April.

    If you need a Mac Pro system, you could hire one for the time you really need one or buy a second hand model. Nothing should stop you from getting on with your business.

    Nowadays the most pricey component of a system is usually the software you need to run your business. If you have already decided that you have too much invested in Mac OS software, you can find away around the hardware problem until the new machines become available.

    What ever happens I hope you can move forward with your business.

    As for Allan's comment. It's going to happen. As Pro users we should be trying to forecast were our business's will be in 2 and 5 years time. Contingency plans should already be in place.

    GSV

  • 327. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,475 points)

    The committment I was hoping for has been announced -- that is interfaces common to both the top laptop and desktop, in the form of Thunderbolt and USB3.  I am already using my rMBP with Thunderbolt drives to support Aperture Library and video assets for FCPX, along with various USB3 devices to fully back those up.  The external DVD drive I use with the MBP is a marvel, and works equally well if not better than the one on my Mac Pro.

     

    My frustration has been to not have equal interface capability on my Mac Pro that I have on my rMBP (the biggest one at the time I bought it).

     

    Ernie

  • 328. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Terina Morris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks so much for the response. I'm here in the States. And about a year ago I looked into "renting" a machine. But because I live in the SoCal area the cost are astronomical, mainly because most of the studios and mobile production houses rent tons at a time. So the lease company can charge a very steep price per day.

     

    Also, trying to plan for longer contingency meant at minimum a 6 month lease to make it cost effective. But again two months ago the new MP was announced. Didnt want to pay early cancellation fees, but had I known then what I know now...

  • 329. Re: The new Mac Pro
    Marsdy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I heartily agree, The new Mac Pro is a MASSIVE, ugly disappointment, Why not just put not one but two of the new chips in the old Mac Pro chassis, (HP and Dell will do domething similar within months,) add TB2. USB3 , optional 4K support and EVERYONE woulld be happy. DUH!!!!

     

    As it is, all Apple is doing is exciting the fanbpos and alientating the professional user. In other words, handing the pro market over to the competition. Apple is not redefining the pro desketop machine here. It is comitting the most monumental screw up since the Newton and the iMac with the terminatior arm.

     

    DEAR APPLE.... I WILLL  NOT BE PURCHASING A BUNCH OF EXPENSIVE AND NOSIY TB PRERIPERALS TO HOUSE WHAT I ALREADY CAN IN MY CURRENT MAC PRO. GOODBYE APPLE....HELLO HP

     

    I cannot belive Steve Jobs would have signed off on the final iteration of this new monstrosity. Apple has replaced inovation with devoltion.

1 20 21 22 23 24 Previous Next