Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Airport work, what do I need?

To extend the Wi-Fi range in my home, will I need two Apple Airports?

iPad 2, iOS 6

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 12:46 PM

8 replies

Jun 10, 2013 12:57 PM in response to Madden325

It may be possible to extend the range of your existing router by using an Access Point like an Airport Express. However, they are designed to work best only with Apple routers. They can only be connected to your existing router in bridge mode (Join existing network,) if they will work at all.

For better compatibility you might consider getting a similar device made by the same company who made your router.

Jun 10, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Madden325

No. The Apple router is the Airport Extreme Base Station or the Apple Time Capsule. However, an Airport Express is capable of acting as a wireless router or extending an AEBS' or Time Capsule's range.

To extend the range of a router, you would locate the AEX where you need to get a stronger signal, then join the existing wireless network created by your router. You can also connect the AEX with an Ethernet cable if you have the ability to run one from where the AEX would be located.

In any event the AEX would have to be located a remote distance from your router in order to extend the router's range. For a wireless connection that would be not more than 150 feet in clear space. In a house it would have to be much closer due to signal attenuation caused by walls, ceiling, floors, and windows.

How does Airport work, what do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.