Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery keystrokes making remote access unusable

To remotely access my MacMini, I've used LogMeIn for years and TeamViewer for a couple of years.

PROBLEM

Starting about a few months ago, LogMeIn remote (through iOS Ignition and through web browsers on various computers) stopped being usable because of OS X keyboard entry problems through remote clients.

SYMPTOM

After successfully connecting to my MacMini through LogMeIn or Teamviewer (not running at the same time), I can't type my password into OS X's logon (unlock) dialog box: after typing 1-10 characters, all the characters become highlighted (selected), and the next keystroke destroys (replaces) everything I've typed; if I tediously deselect the selected characters after they become selected, I can type the next password character, but I have do this repeatedly. The selection problem always highlights all the typed characters in the password box; if I type very fast it sometimes doesn't select everything until the 10th or later character, but usually the highlighting occurs after just typing 1-4 characters.

I also troubleshot this while sitting right in front of my MacMini (the host). I don't think the mystery key stroke in the password dialog is a Return/Enter because the OSX password dialog box doesn't shake, which occurs after pressing Return/Enter with an incorrect password. It seems that command-a (select all) or repeating Shift-Left Arrow (select) are the only keystrokes I can think of that would do this. I doubt the latter but the former seems like a possibility for a keylogger or pseudo-keylogger, which perhaps wouldn't record each keystroke but instead might select-all/copy/paste/transmit.

I can type ok with the physical USB keyboard (locally) without any problems even after logging on with LogMeIn or TeamViewer (via a computer across the room or from my iPhone).

ATTEMPTS TO FIX

- scanning for viruses with ESET Cyber Security (didn't help)

- booting in safe mode (didn't help)

- enabling the remote software's setting to lock the host keyboard after connecting (didn't help)

- unplugging the MacMini's USB keyboard (didn't help)

- purusing the activity monitor for threats (didn't help)

- removing ESET Cyber Security (didn't help)

- Verifying disk and Repairing Permissions (didn't help)

- emptying cache files (didn't help)

- turning off the second language, leaving just Engligh (didn't help)

- upgrading to 10.8.4 (didn't help)

- trying TeamViewer instead of LogMeIn (didn't help)

- LogMeIn tech support (didn't help, but the problem happens with TeamViewer, too)

APPROXIMATE CONCURRENT CHANGES (that I remember)

- FileVault ON (whole disk encryption)

- Encrypted external TimeMachine hard drive

NEXT ATTEMPT

- Unless someone helps me with this, I'll repartition and reformat my drive then reinstall everything one a time instead of via Migration Assistant. This should guarantee to fix it, but it'll take so much time to reinstall everything, I'm hoping for a fix from someone here.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), many computers used

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 1:57 PM

25 replies

Jun 12, 2013 9:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

I just tried Back to My Mac, but the same problem occurs.

Even if it had worked, though, I need an iOS client (both LogMeIn and TeamViewer have iOS clients).

I didn't realize, though, that Back to My Mac Screen Sharing uses VNC, which the Screen Sharing preferences screen states. I used to use VNC, UltraVNC and Chicken of the VNC years ago. I liked them for accessing other computers on the same LAN.

Jun 13, 2013 1:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Yep, I mentioned that in the Problem section in my original post. The problem occurs from my iPhone5, iPad2 and from the following computers running TeamViewer and Firefox, Chrome, Safari:

Clients

- imac 10.8.3 and .4

- retina macbook pro 10.8.3 and .4

- macbook pro 10.6.8

- linux ubuntu 12 (Firefox)

- other sites' win7 PCs and Macs (Firefox and Chrome)

NOTE: ALL the above clients work fine connecting to other LogMeIn and TeamViewer hosts; the problem

only occurs to my MacMini (host).

Also, VNC (Back to My Mac) from the retina macbook pro had the same problem with my MacMini.

----

Apple OS X Engineers who programmed the logon dialog and related components probably could figure it out fast. I might resubmit this to Apple bug reports using my developer id.

Jun 19, 2013 12:36 AM in response to generatech

Crazy Update

===========

Instead of wiping my 4 year old slow MacMini and reinstalling everything, I decided to buy a new MacMini. I bought it directly from an Apple Store in town this afternoon.

I updated it to 10.8.4 and installed all other available Apple updates.

I didn't use Migration Assistant. I didn't install any development or IT tools (e.g., DjangoFramework, WireShark, FileXray, etc). I just copied docs over. The only apps I've installed so far are Chrome, Firefox, TextWrangler, Shorter Oxford Dictionary and LogMeIn.

I connected to the new MacMini via my iPhone 5's LogMeIn Ignition app, and crazy crazy, the problem continues.

So I then isolated the new MacMini on a network switch instead of a router and gave it a static IP address. I then turned on Screen Sharing (with the VNC viewer option) and then connected a Linux laptop to the same switch and gave the laptop a static IP (and turned off its wifi).

Even with just two static IP devices on a non-router network switch, connecting with VNC still has the same problem. I removed LogMeIn and the problem persisted.

Every time I triggered the screen saver on the MacMini (using a hot corner or the ScreenSaveEngine dock icon), the same problem occured only within the password dialog that appears after connecting to VNC.

There's a tiny chance I copied something unfriendly over from the old macmini, but I don't see how docs, pics and music could carry a payload, especially since I haven't opened any yet. I did copy some utilities (DiskAid, DiskWarrior, Gemini) but didn't run any of them yet.

I submitted a bug report as a developer but haven't heard back yet.

==========

PS On the old ManMini, I ran rkunter and chkrootkit and they didn't find anything apart from the former's typical false positive in OS X.

Jun 19, 2013 7:58 AM in response to generatech

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software — potentially for the worse. The following procedure will help identify which such modifications you've installed. Don’t be alarmed by the complexity of these instructions — they’re easy to carry out and won’t change anything on your Mac.

These steps are to be taken while booted in “normal” mode, not in safe mode. If you’re now running in safe mode, reboot as usual before continuing.

Below are instructions to enter some UNIX shell commands. The commands are harmless, but they must be entered exactly as given in order to work. If you have doubts about the safety of the procedure suggested here, search this site for other discussions in which it’s been followed without any report of ill effects.

Some of the commands will line-wrap or scroll in your browser, but each one is really just a single line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then copy it. The headings “Step 1” and so on are not part of the commands.

Note: If you have more than one user account, Step 2 must be taken as an administrator. Ordinarily that would be the user created automatically when you booted the system for the first time. The other steps should be taken as the user who has the problem, if different. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign (“$”) or a percent sign (“%”). If you get the percent sign, enter “sh” and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign.

Step 1

Triple-click the line of text below to select it:

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}' | open -f -a TextEdit

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Then click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). A TextEdit window will open. Post the contents of that window, if any — the text, please, not a screenshot. You can then close the TextEdit window. The title of the window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that. No typing is involved in this step.

Step 2

Repeat with this line:

{ sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|org\.(amav|apac|cups|isc|ntp|postf|x)/{print $3}'; sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook; } | open -f -a TextEdit

This time you'll be prompted for your login password, which you do have to type. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type it carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Heed that warning, but don't post it. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

Note: If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before taking this step. If that’s not possible, skip to the next step.

Step 3

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}' | open -f -a TextEdit

Step 4

ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null | open -f -a TextEdit

Important: If you formerly synchronized with a MobileMe account, your me.com email address may appear in the output of the above command. If so, anonymize it before posting.

Step 5

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' | open -f -a TextEdit

Remember, steps 1-5 are all copy-and-paste — no typing, except your password. Also remember to post the output.

You can then quit Terminal.

Jun 20, 2013 1:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

IT'S A BUG IN OS X.

Even after a clean install (repartitioned and reinstalled mt lion 10.8.3) on my brand new Mac Mini, the problem persists. After it booted the first time after the clean install, I turned on Screen Sharing and connected to it from a Linux laptop's VNC and also, not simultaneously, from an iMac's Share Screen (10.8.4). The problem persists on both.

I then enabled Screen Sharing on the 10.8.4 iMac and tried connecting to it from differetn sources. Same problem.

IMPORTANT TESTING POINT:

- If you test this on your own Mac, make sure you have the host Mac's screen saver running with System Security configured to lock your Mac when rousing from running the screen saver: this configuration causes a password dialog to appear, but it's different from logging out/in.

- In case you have a short password, just type random-ish stuff and watch what happens: on my systems, the password becomes highlighted then the next keystroke wipes it out and it keeps doing this.

Mystery keystrokes making remote access unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.