Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So long, Logic

I can't continue to base a potenial new career on a platform I don't know to be fully backed by its maker. Because of Apple's secrecy, we can't know for sure if they are waning from their pro apps or not. Everyone knows that Pro Tools is the industry standard, so if I'm going to spend money and time dedicating myself to the intricate depths of one product or another, I suppose I should do it in the one most recognized and most likely to be around in 10 years (I don't have time to learn multiple platforms).

I was and am a Logic fan but this isn't about technical merits. It's about ensuring an investment. I was hoping we migth hear something in all the WWDC announcements today (especially since a new Mac Pro was announced), but no. It's been many, many years and very little in the way of a commitment by Apple. If they're going to have the mentality of "we make a product, use ot or not; we may or may not ever enhance that product so you can build a career with it", then I can't know that I can build a career with it. So I suppose I won't.

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 2:03 PM

25 replies

Jun 10, 2013 2:35 PM in response to rcook349

OK, well, you can go and use whatever DAW you want can't you - its mostly about going through the learning curve and then being able to use the software to do the kinds of things you want it to do, so, if you've been into Pro Tools and you think you know your way around it, it might be a good option for you.

As Seeren says, Apple haven't announced stuff like that in that kind of way before, so I don't think your observation really means anything in particular.

I got the Harrison Mixbus recently and I absolutely love it - it doesn't cover what I do in Logic (yet) but I just love the style of it. Maybe it might be developed to be a really interesting bit of kit for me, but, obviously, I don't know what may happen there...

Jun 10, 2013 4:25 PM in response to rcook349

If you were hoping to get new information about Logic at WWDC then you were ill advised and should have invested the two hours on your music career.

If anything shows that Apple still cares about the pro customers then look at the new Mac Pro. Or how many updates did they push out for Final Cut Pro X in two years. Apple is doing their thing at their own pace. It's always been that way. You have the freedom to look somewhere else if you don't like that

If you look for guarantees for the next ten years for you investment, sure you can jump to ProTools. Just a tip, look at the financial situation (past and present) of Avid and tell me if those bean counters who are running that company are able to run the company into the ground over the next 10 years and destroy all those great tools created by great developers.

(remember, the grass is always greener on the other side)

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jun 10, 2013 4:33 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thanks Edgar, and I hear you about Avid. But even if they sink as a company, another would step in and buy the brand (it's just too strong to go away).

I'm at a launching point in my early/second/part-time career to re-invest in gear, software, and training. I really need to pick a path and go all-in/deep-dive. I really want to pick Logic. I just wish I had some assurances is all.

Jun 10, 2013 5:14 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Like it or not more (professional) people have left Logic for other platforms the last couple of years simply because of the lack of communication and the problems Logic has been having with the new operating systems.

I wont's upgrade from Snow Leopard and and Logic 9.1.5 because my system is stable and pretty much works flawlessly. I have upgraded a couple of clients machines to the latest OS/Logic and there have been performance problems on both machines. These folks are beginners using only Logic plugins so I know it's not third party plugs. There is a decrease in performance under Lion and an even more noticeable decrease under ML.

Jun 10, 2013 8:42 PM in response to Pancenter

I use Logic on ML daily and it's a monster, as fast as ever, takes everything I throw at it. Never crashes. Really stable, and this is on an old Mac Pro Harpertown from 2008!

That said, PT11 is going to rock, and as stated, it doesn't really matter how well AVID does, the program is entrenched and whoever takes it over, if that ever happens, won't affect it. I still like Logic's way for quickly assembling a composition, but the lack of interest from Apple is awful.

Jun 10, 2013 10:22 PM in response to chorleyman

I got the Harrison Mixbus recently and I absolutely love it - it doesn't cover what I do in Logic (yet) but I just love the style of it. Maybe it might be developed to be a really interesting bit of kit for me, but, obviously, I don't know what may happen there...

I just did so myself and I wonder if we could get a thread going about the Logic/Harrison experience? I've been working on some great consoles but never on a Harrison. Although it is not the "real thing", I'm looking forward to have a go at it!

Cheers!

Jun 11, 2013 4:20 AM in response to Pancenter

>> What would the Logic-Harrison experience be?<<

I'm not sure at the moment, but we'll soon find out after we've installed the beast. To start with I'll use it as for what its name suggests. Haven't got a clue how to incorporate Logic into all of this and my previous experience with Jack does not make me to confident either about a trouble free coexistence of the applications. But we'll see and all I'm really interested in is what do I benefit sound wise and.........after all works as advertised, how can I benefit in a smoother workflow when mixing. I really hate the operating plugin distraction when in a finale mixing stage. So lets give it a try, I still wait for it's arrival though........

Have a nice day

Jun 11, 2013 2:31 PM in response to Pancenter

Yeah, I remember looking at Ardour as a possible contender for a sequencer running on Linux - it wasn't recently - I obviously didn't pursue it - I don't know whether there's still a lack of Linux support for all the things you need is unless you're a programmer - I believe we had a previous discussion about that anyway, some time or other.

One of the things about the feel of the Harrison Mixbus that struck me before I'd verbalised it, was that the GUI is very similar in style to Linux/UNIX based software, which seems like a good sign somehow.. he he..

Well, anyway, I did find it obviously intuitive to begin doing something with it, but I haven't seriously recorded anything yet, still finding out...

The Jack program might be useful in a certain way - shouldn't be too difficult to establish a link between Logic and Mixbus in theory ( the Jack interface comes up as an fx insert in Logic), but I haven't tried it yet; I'd probably just drag audio files in from my Logic folder, just to keep it simple to begin with - well, that'll get a shot anyway; I'm trying to develop the sound of vocals at the moment, so that could be cool.

Jun 11, 2013 5:07 PM in response to rcook349

Well, if you want to work at other people studios or collaborate in the post world, you should go PT in the first place. If you want to run your own thing, the LP9 you've been running for the last 4 years has most of the technologies PT11 users will get in a couple of weeks/days. Do you want the eMagic/Apple dudes to reinvent the wheel every year? Do you want Apple to communicate with you every month to tell you you have an advanced DAW in LP9? Being a fan of LP will not land you a gig in the MI, btw. I'm not telling you all this to be a smart hasse, but this kind of outburst of emotions on the Apple forum is pretty pointless.

So long, Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.