Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Transfer...Potential Hazards

Hello All or Anyone who may read this cry for help.

I purchasing a 2009 24" Imac off a friend of a friend. Going to have it thoroughly checked out beforehand, I saw a post where I can schedule an appointment at an Apple store and have one of the tech look at it.

Anywho getting to the question, I have a P.O.S Toshiba laptop, it's on a fast decline to crapville USA, and I have a small suspicion that it may be infected with some sort of maleware or something, cause alot of my programs are glitching/stuttering.

I don't know what files or programs are causing, my question..WILL THIS AFFECT MY IMAC WHEN I TRANSFER OVER THE DATA IE; MUSIC, PICTURES, FILES, VIDEOS, ETC;

I know mac don't read/obtain viruses like PC's do, however I've read that they (viruses) can still be loaded onto the desktop.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 6:26 PM

While not likely, it is possible...

ClamXAV, free Virus scanner...

http://www.clamxav.com/

Free Sophos...

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-ed ition/features.aspx

4 replies

Jun 10, 2013 9:17 PM in response to Macinthomas

Macinthomas wrote:

I have a P.O.S Toshiba laptop, it's on a fast decline to crapville USA, and I have a small suspicion that it may be infected with some sort of maleware or something, cause alot of my programs are glitching/stuttering.

I don't know what files or programs are causing, my question..WILL THIS AFFECT MY IMAC WHEN I TRANSFER OVER THE DATA IE; MUSIC, PICTURES, FILES, VIDEOS, ETC;

The only commonly found malware that will imact both Windows and OS X are some very old Microsoft Office Macro's, and even there most versions of Office for Mac won't run them. They have been around for years and are easily defeated by keeping them turned off, which is now the default. So you shouldn't be overly concerned about that aspect, but I'm sure you want to avoid passing any Windows malware on to your friends, so a quick scan should take care of that possibility, as well.

Jun 11, 2013 1:03 AM in response to Macinthomas

Macinthomas wrote:

Thanks for that info...those two links are those for me to download onto my PC or for when I get my MAC.

They are for your Mac, but there is a free product that uses the same scan engine and malware definitions as ClamXav called ClamWIN that you can use on the PC. Some other choices can be found here. MS Security Essentials is often recommended here as a simple, non-intrusive scanner for WIndows.

Data Transfer...Potential Hazards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.