Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 iOS 7 beta restore through iTunes

Hi Everyone ..

After watching the WWDC keynote tonight, I was bitten by the 'try it quick' bug and wanted to get my iPhone 4 going on the iOS 7 beta .. and for a few minutes I thought I was going to have to revert to a 'new phone'. The problem popped up when I tried to restore from the backup that I have on my iTunes that was made a few minutes before I did the installation. iTunes kept coming up asking for the backup password, but wouldn't accept any of my passwords !! I tried appleID, iPhone password, even a few of the old ones that I might have used when setting up the phone the first time .. but nothing would work !!

In lieu of having to start out as a "new iPhone", I managed to find a workaround after a little trial and error ... as follows:

- Download the images and go through the installation process onto your iPhone

- Leave the phone plugged in to your Mac

- Try the restore from iTunes backup

- If you try to restore from an iTunes backup and the password entry field pops up and won't let you further, you might be able to authenticate through your AppleID as I did

- In the iOS 7 startup process, select restore from online backup, which will take you through the entry of your WIFI network, location services, AppleID and password info.

- Next, after your phone has been set up on the AppleID, select the Back button, and your phone should now authenticate to your iTunes backup and start restoring ..

which is where I am now ...

fingers are crossed !

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 12:43 AM

There are no replies.

iPhone 4 iOS 7 beta restore through iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.