Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime File Crashing Both Quicktime App and Finder in Mac, but Not Windows

Hi,

I have a drive full of Apple ProRes Quicktime files. Almost all of them play perfectly, except 2. Those 2 files have played in the past, but I've had problems with them. They've come back to functionality in the past, but now they are not working again and I don't understand why.

Whenever I go to open the files with Quicktime Pro 7, Quicktime X, FCP 7, Adobe Premiere or Adobe Media Encoder, I get the spinning beach ball and not only does Quicktime crash, but the finder crashes as well. If I go to restart the finder, it never comes back online and I have to restart my late 2011 macbook Pro.

I've tried repairing permissions and on the Macbook Hardrive and have used Disk Utility and Disk warrior on the hardrive containing the 2 quicktime files. Nothing has solved the problem.

At first, I thought the Quicktime files might have become corrupted, but I installed Windows 7, using bootcamp, on the same macbook, hooked up the external hardrive and was able to play the quicktimes perfectly in Windows with quicktime 7 (not pro, because I don't want to buy it just for windows). So, there is some sort of incompatability between these two quicktime files and my Macboook.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on?

-Scott

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 4:53 AM

There are no replies.

Quicktime File Crashing Both Quicktime App and Finder in Mac, but Not Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.