Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i keep my phone off while charging ?

I would i like to know if its possible to charge iphone while it's off , because every time i plug in my phone to charge it ( while it's off ) it turns back on

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 4:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 5:35 PM

I have a charge cord that's a little bit wonky. It won't actually charge my device unless my device is powered down. Unfortunately, when I power down it's always like the device was unplugged when powered down and then plugged in again (so it turns itself on and stops charging). I can't get the phone above 10% power with this cord. Pretty annoying.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Ella-015

I have a charge cord that's a little bit wonky. It won't actually charge my device unless my device is powered down. Unfortunately, when I power down it's always like the device was unplugged when powered down and then plugged in again (so it turns itself on and stops charging). I can't get the phone above 10% power with this cord. Pretty annoying.

Sep 20, 2015 11:33 PM in response to Ella-015

The phone uses a lot of power when in sleep mode; accepts calls, background apps, wifi, gps, signal searching, etc. If a phone is dead and the user plugs it in... With the goal of getting to 100% battery, itll charge faster and waste significantly less power if the auto-on feature is disabled. Is there a hack for this yet?

My car only charges when the car is running. It'd be great if the phone didn't turn on an waste time/energy when I didn't request it to turn on.

Aug 12, 2017 3:24 PM in response to Mrs.Isles

Mrs.Isles wrote:

I wa off because for some reasons, my charger won't work for my iPhone unless it's off. So it is charging when it's off then it disconnects when it's on. So I really need to know how to keep it off.

Then that is the problem you have to fix. It should charge either on or off. And there is practically no difference in the time to charge between on and off.

If you are using the Apple USB power adapter and an Apple cable an iPhone 4 should charge in about 2 hours, on or off.

How do i keep my phone off while charging ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.