Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit NetInstall to MacBook Pro Mid-2012

Currently we have four different 13" models deployed for teachers/students: MacBook (Early 2009, Late 2009, Mid 2010) and MacBook Pro (Mid 2012). I have two different NetBoot images created. One from MB Late 2009 running 10.8.4 and one from MBP Mid 2012 running 10.8.4.

I have the MB (Late 2009) NetBoot image to only be visible for MacBook Early 2009 and MacBook Late 2009. The MBP (Mid 2012) NetBoot image is set to be visible for only the MacBook (Mid 2010) and MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) models.

Everything works like it should except for the MacBook Pros. They ignore the NetBoot and boot to a local account. If I take off the restriction, then they work normal too. I have double checked I am selecting the correct machine, but they are not booting to the NetBoot image.

I did notice this:

The model I select if I search for it by scrolling.

User uploaded file

The same model when I filter to MacBooks or MacBook Pros.

User uploaded file

The description changes to a Mid 2012 21.5" iMac. Is this a bug that is setting thhe Mid 2012 13" MBP to a Mid 2012 21.5" iMac?

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 11:50 AM

1 reply

Jun 11, 2013 2:26 PM in response to ekajsevarg@gmail.com

Well, you've certainly found a bug in Server.app. Whether it's a visual or a functional bug is the question.

If you are comfortable poking around in a plist file, check the NBImageInfo.plist file for the image you are editing. There should be a list of enabled models, and a list of disabled models. That checkbox corresponds to "MacBookPro9,1", so in the enabled models array, you should see one entry for "MacBookPro9,1".

You can also set this information when you create the image by using a custom workflow and adding the "Filter Computer Models" action.

Limit NetInstall to MacBook Pro Mid-2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.