Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a US Time Capsule ok for UK use?

I'm about toi purchase a nearly new TC from another UK seller. It's under 1 year old but I guess the Apple warranty won't be valid over here. That's ok but I was wondering if there are any operational diffetrences apart from the US pwer lead? Presumably there is a voltage input switch?

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 11:37 AM

8 replies

Jun 11, 2013 12:13 PM in response to cadplan

There is no voltage input switch, since the TC will operate on 100-240 Volts and 50-60 Hz automatically.

You will likely need an adapter to let the U.K. plug work in a North American AC jack, but you will not need a voltage converter.

UK models of the TC do not offer higher 5 GHz channel capability, so you will be limited to the more crowded lower 5 GHz channels here.

Personally, I would not purchase a UK product for use in North America, especially a Time Capsule, but it is your decision.

Apple just introduced a new Time Capsule yesterday. You might want to take a look.

Apple also offers refurbished Time Capsules....with new warranty......through the online Apple Store.

Jun 11, 2013 12:54 PM in response to cadplan

As Bob commented, all the apple routers are sold with a region code in the part number. There is no way to defeat this. That limits or makes certain bands or frequencies unavailable or ones that are illegal available.

European models use ETSI which is very different to the FCC setting on the US model. They can certainly be used.. but it is better to buy in the market you intend to use it in.

Jun 11, 2013 1:11 PM in response to cadplan

You can use it... US is more restricted at 2.4ghz than UK.

But 5ghz ???.

If you buy the older N wireless model N wireless was only really same room or next room.. It has very poor range.

The new AC one you do need 5ghz.. all the goodies for AC wireless are in the 5ghz band.

Look at the different bands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Jun 11, 2013 1:32 PM in response to cadplan

For most people it won't matter.. because you will be using 2.4ghz and US is a subset of UK.. not the other way around. But you should really be looking at great financial advantage to do so.. otherwise buy UK.

If you could just change firmware or just set UK as region.. all would be good. But you cannot!!

Australia.. Colonial outpost and UK gulag.. follows UK.. and hence European standards for most things (the roof of the Melbourne Main Train Station can withstand 5' of snow) and lots of people buy apple routers in the US and use them here.. it is no biggie.

But recognise all is not straight forward in the world of wireless regulations.

Is a US Time Capsule ok for UK use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.