MY suggestion would be to put the iPod Classic into disk mode. After that the restore option should not be as difficult.
iPod devices with a Click Wheel
- If necessary, verify that your iPod has a Click Wheel.
- Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it is charged.
- Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
- Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
6. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".
Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.