Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP 10.8.4 crash trying to sleep while bluetooth tethering then takes iphone with it

I experienced a strange issue. My 15" rMBP can not connect to a public wifi router at a ice rink. It connects but still assigns a self IP so no internet connection. My iphone 5 can connect and use the wifi without a problem. I tried two different dates with the same results. My solution was to use my iPhone 5 as a wifi hotspot (verizon). It attached fine and was working correctly. I had to move my seat so I closed my lid and disconnected the hotspot on the phone. The apple logo didn't shut off immediately on the laptop but I only realized after I had gotten up. 10 minutes later I sit down and open my laptop up again. It indicates that it rebooted and ready to send off a report to apple. I clean up that mess and setup the tethering again. This time right after it tethers, my iphone 5 dims and then resets.

I stopped trying after that. I did a Google search and looked through Apple's forums and find similar things happening since 2010 and iphone 4 and previous versions of OSx. This disturbs me that this bug has occured for a couple of years across 3 versions of phones and multiple releases of OSx.

My rMBP is 10.8.4 running Growl, parallels 8.0, alfred, smcfancontrol, system lens

iphone is 6.1.4

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 15" 16GB 512GB SSD

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 6:14 PM

1 reply

Jun 11, 2013 8:51 PM in response to inajeep

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select the most recent panic log under the heading System Diagnostic Reports on the left. If you don't see that heading, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar. Post the entire contents of the panic report — the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header and body of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.) Please don't post shutdownStall, spin, or hang reports.

rMBP 10.8.4 crash trying to sleep while bluetooth tethering then takes iphone with it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.