Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup corrupt or not compatible with iphone

Hi,

whenever i try to Backup my iPhone (4S) either on my Mac or iCloud it says "backup corrupt or not compatible with iphone "
i ve been trying different Solution given here
1) Deleting Backup from Device Preferances ( it is already empty . i cant see anything der )
2) trying to navigate Backup in Apllication Support > Mobile Sync ( But der is no such Folder der )

Please guide me thru.

iOS 6

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2017 4:34 AM

I had this problem this morning after buying a new phone; I was trying to restore a backup of my old phone onto the new one. It turns out that the new one was on an older software version (it was running 10.2, and my existing phone was on 10.2.1). Updating the new phone to 10.2.1, and then restoring from the backup, has done the trick.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2017 4:34 AM in response to iPraj

I had this problem this morning after buying a new phone; I was trying to restore a backup of my old phone onto the new one. It turns out that the new one was on an older software version (it was running 10.2, and my existing phone was on 10.2.1). Updating the new phone to 10.2.1, and then restoring from the backup, has done the trick.

Apr 1, 2017 4:25 PM in response to HSymington

Same thing here. My last backup was done with iOS 10.2.1. I got a replacement iPhone for the phone from Apple but it had iOS 10.2 on it and had the same corrupt or incompatible message. When I upgraded the iPhone to iOS 10.3, then retried the restore, it no longer had the problem and completed the restore from backup. Seems weird the message doesn't just say that explicitly.

Jun 14, 2013 8:00 AM in response to iPraj

Hello there, iPraj.

You've definitely done some great first steps already. I'd also take a look at the following Knowledge Base article which is pretty thorough in walking you through a thorough set of steps to try and resolve your issue:

iOS: Troubleshooting backup issues in iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2529

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities for answers to your question.

Cheers,

Pedro D.

Jun 14, 2013 8:05 AM in response to iPraj

iPraj wrote:

Hi,

whenever i try to Backup my iPhone (4S) either on my Mac or iCloud it says "backup corrupt or not compatible with iphone "
i ve been trying different Solution given here
1) Deleting Backup from Device Preferances ( it is already empty . i cant see anything der )
2) trying to navigate Backup in Apllication Support > Mobile Sync ( But der is no such Folder der )

Some users have reported that specific apps prevent the backup from succeeding. iZip is a common one with this problem.

Oct 6, 2013 11:12 PM in response to iPraj

I have an iPhone 5 with the latest iOS 7.02 installed using iTunes 11.1.1 on a MacbookPro Intel Core i7. My error message instructed me to delete my backup, not in that exact context, so I deleted it by going to:

1) iTunes/Preferences/Devices then

2) chosing all my backups (even from way back on my iPhone 4) and deleting them one-by-one by selecting;

3) 'Delete Backup' button.

Before I did this I logged in as a different user with Admin credentials and I was able to backup my iPhone under that user. So in worst case scenario I would just have to re-log in to that other user to restore my iphone if needed. So.... I would recommend to back-up under a different user before deleting any backups within your main user account or do an iCloud backup if you have enough space.

Good luck!

Jul 21, 2016 7:33 PM in response to iPraj

I can't guarantee that this will solve the problem for anyone else, but for me, the issue was that I had told iTunes to encrypt my backup so I could store passwords and such. No matter how many times I tried to restore this backup, it didn't work. As soon as I made a backup that wasn't encrypted, it came over just fine.

Also, take the time to update both phones to the last iOS before making your backup and then trying to restore it onto the new phone.

Even if this doesn't solve your problem, remember the basic idea which is to try to make a new backup if at all possible, and possibly with slightly different settings, so that you can make one that works with your new phone.

backup corrupt or not compatible with iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.