Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring itunes account to a new computer

I store my Itunes directory on a external hard drive. My older computer is having problems, but is still operable, so I want to tranfer and use another computer as my sync computer, deauthorize the old one, and just keep this computer authorized. My main concern are digital copies of movies. Secondary are the playlists for my music. Other multimedia content, I can just tell the newer computer here it is and sync it that way.

What I have done so far is connect the external hard drive to the newer computer, tell itunes use the external hard drive, the same subdirectory as my other computer as this computer. I then had it transfer purchased items to this computer. The apps transferred ok, as far as I know. The movies though, it created duplicate files in each directory, so on the old computer I had a video file labeled Up, when i transferred the digital copy, it created a second file called Up1.

I also noticed I cant manipulate what movies I can add or remove on the new computer yet to my touch. I think i need to do a account sync or something, but I dont want to do that yet because of the missing playlists and music yet. If that makes sense??

The last time I wanted to do a move, I could have made a backup to DVD's, but I dont see that option anymore. on the summary device page, there is a total backup on this computer. I think I can do a total backup onto the external hard drive, then how do I restore on the new computer from the external hard drive??

Again, my main concern is digital copies of movies, secondary are music playlists. I dont mind having to do a factory reset of the touch, as a matter of fact, I probly would welcome this. I just dont want to recreate my playlists. It looks like the movies are saved, but duplicate files.

Thanks.

Bruce

iPod touch (2nd generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 9:15 PM

There are no replies.

transferring itunes account to a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.