Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my mac mini freeze when I leave it to download files via Transmission overnight?

I have recently upgraded my mac mini to 8gb ram and a 128gb ssd hdd (Have not had this problem before because I upgraded my mac as soon as I got it).

Am relatively pleased with the speed increments.However a nagging problem persists:

Whenever I leave Transmission to download files overnight (I do not put it to sleep / activate the screensaver, I simply turn off my monitor), it goes into a frozen state when I come back to it the following morning.

Various states include:

1) Black screen with spinning beach-ball

2) Log-in screen which cannot be accessed (Login field available, but no mouse pointer / response from keyboard; m using a wired mouse and Apple's BT Kb [Kb's green status light simply flashes when I turn it back on again] )

3) Black screen with no display

I do not sleep in an air-conditioned room, but I leave an electric fan on throughout the night to circulate the air in the room. My mac is placed in the path of the fan when it pans from sideways across the room.

How do I resolve this issue? M currently running the latest version of both Mac OS X and Transmission.

Regards,

wei

Mac mini (Mid 2011), 2.5Ghz, AMD Radeon HD 6630M

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 8Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 1:05 AM

9 replies

Jun 18, 2013 12:05 AM in response to s.wei

Hi Linc.

it worked. But I can't get it to work consistently..

I set one of the screencorners to activate the screensaver. However, even after I left my mac as it was last night (without activating the screensaver), I work up in the morning to find the screen frozen and spinning beach ball.

Any suggestions?.

Cheers,

wei

Jun 18, 2013 12:24 PM in response to s.wei

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time after you had the problem. Select the messages logged before the boot, while the system was unresponsive or was failing to shut down. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V). Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the end of the log extract.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the entire contents of the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post shutdownStall, spin, or hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

Jun 19, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

this are the messages logged after the problem, before my last boot:

(Before my last boot, my screen was black with a spinning beachball.

My Apple BT kb failed to connect, with the indicator light just flashing and the screen only came back from standby after I moved my USB connected mouse.

I shut it down by Pressing and holding the Power button)

19/6/13 12:40:53.000 AM kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 134, Transmission)

19/6/13 12:40:53.000 AM kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel

19/6/13 12:42:03.000 AM kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 134, Transmission)

19/6/13 12:42:03.000 AM kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel

19/6/13 12:43:21.533 AM com.apple.time[126]: Interval maximum value is 946100000 seconds (specified value: 9223372036854775807).

19/6/13 12:43:46.000 AM kernel[0]: PM notification cancel (pid 134, Transmission)

19/6/13 12:43:46.000 AM kernel[0]: IOPMrootDomain: idle cancel

19/6/13 11:44:08.000 PM bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1371656648 0

I am guessing if Transmission is causing my mac to freeze as it is always the last program I have running.

There aren't any logs under System Diagnostic Reports though.

Jun 19, 2013 9:28 AM in response to s.wei

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jun 21, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

thanks for all your help.

I tried letting my mac go to screensaver mode and then to sleep on its own overnight just to see if it was ok. I awoke the next day and was able to reawake it fine.

The log I posted before was from when only Transmission was the last and only program running before I went to bed. As such, I thought Transmission was causing the problem.

1 entry on Tranmission's forums which had links to similar issues caught my attention:
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14766
It suggested limiting the speed and number of the downloads.

Shall try that and run the Safe boot mode if the problem persists.

Thanks again, have a good weekend*.

Why does my mac mini freeze when I leave it to download files via Transmission overnight?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.