Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Software update' - just bouncing in dock...

This idiot 'software update' thing has been bouncing up & down in the dock for about 20 minutes now; I keep clicking on it; tried both single & double clicks, but nothing happens. Now it's just sitting there refusing to open.

I've had a lot of issues like this lately; sticking / freezing; programs not opening; spinning beach ball etc. I'm sure I've asked this before, but is there not some sort of 'clean-up' like 'disk defragmenter' which can clear out rubbish & sort out unresponsive programs?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 9:51 AM

4 replies

Jun 13, 2013 12:34 AM in response to AliWonder

Step 1

Reset the System Management Controller

Step 2

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed to boot, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jun 13, 2013 1:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you;

The link at step 1 appears to be just telling me to force switch off using the power button & re-start? I did this last night & then left it off all night (NB; I'm in the UK; it's around 10am now). I'll see how it goes this morning.

Otherwise Step 2 is another language to me I'm afraid...! 'wired peripherals' - do you mean hard drives? 'aftermarket expansion cards' ?? No idea what this is, nor 'FileVault', & I have no idea if 'the boot volume is a software RAID'? The Mac is as it was when I brought it from the shop; I haven't added anything to it, if this is what you mean? Sorry; I'm pretty adept with computers but this technical language escapes me - apologies...

Jun 13, 2013 7:35 AM in response to AliWonder

The link at step 1 appears to be just telling me to force switch off using the power button & re-start?

No, there's more to it than that. I don't think I can explain the procedure any more clearly than the support article does.

wired peripherals

Any external device that plugs in to the computer.

aftermarket expansion cards

Not applicable. The rest isn't applicable either, if you don't know what it means.

'Software update' - just bouncing in dock...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.