Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed out loops in Garageband 11?

I installed GB11 from the Mountain Lion's Appstore and not from an iLife DVD. It required an update for the loops and most of them downloaded but there are still some greyed out buttons.

Here's a pic: http://imgur.com/5OgugCL

All the support pages and discussions gave me zero help thus far. I even tried downloading an update right from Apple's Garageband support pages for version 6.0.5, but that's apparently only for those who have installed via DVD. Solutions anyone? Please and thanks!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 10:26 AM

User uploaded file

It is normal, that some buttons will be greyed out.

The basig GarageBand has neither Vocals, Celesta, Harpsichord, etc. loops installed. Those will come with the JamPacks. Or do you have the JamPacks installed?

Also, the selection of loops depends on some filters. The browser will only show loops with the correct signature for the project. If you have your project set to 3/4, you will see even less active buttons than with 4/4. Disable the checkmark "Keyword Browsing > Filter for more relevant Results" (that should enable the Slide Guitar loops) and set the top most drop-down in the Loop Browser to "Show all", if you have additional JamPacks installed. Set to "GarageBand" it will only show the basic instruments.

Regards

Léonie

With some filters set, all loops will be disabled.

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2013 10:26 AM in response to IrrIsponsible

User uploaded file

It is normal, that some buttons will be greyed out.

The basig GarageBand has neither Vocals, Celesta, Harpsichord, etc. loops installed. Those will come with the JamPacks. Or do you have the JamPacks installed?

Also, the selection of loops depends on some filters. The browser will only show loops with the correct signature for the project. If you have your project set to 3/4, you will see even less active buttons than with 4/4. Disable the checkmark "Keyword Browsing > Filter for more relevant Results" (that should enable the Slide Guitar loops) and set the top most drop-down in the Loop Browser to "Show all", if you have additional JamPacks installed. Set to "GarageBand" it will only show the basic instruments.

Regards

Léonie

With some filters set, all loops will be disabled.

User uploaded file

Jun 29, 2013 4:57 PM in response to IrrIsponsible

Contrary to the above response, it is NOT normal, and the grayed out loops are not supposed to be grayed out. It is not because you don't own Jam Packs and have them installed; the missing loops are not Jam Pack content.

The missing loops do belong in GarageBand '11, and have to be downloaded from Apple and installed into GB. The problem is, GB is broken in this respect, and it will not download the loops, and the App Store will also not update the loops. GarageBand will say it is downloading them in Software Update, but it will not do so.

I called AppleCare about this, and it took a couple tries, but we got it solved. It's complicated to do so.

It is, the support person said, the one thing broken in GB '11. Anyway, here's the procedure that worked to get them to install. (Hope I'm not giving up any state secrets here; they didn't swear me to secrecy and others do have the problem.)

---------------

First thing to do is go to GarageBand and make it go through its fakeout cycle telling you it's updating the loops. Click on any gray loop's download arrow, and tell it to download it now. It'll open App Store, and that won't download anything, and it'll all fail. Quit App Store and GarageBand.

Next, you need an administrator login user. I created one, called "apple" -- do this in the Users & Groups panel in System Preferences. (You do need admin privileges to do this; you may already have them in your own login, and thus not need to create an administrator login.) Gave it an easy password. Then, with Fast User Switching, I logged in as the administrator "apple."

It'll take a few minutes for your machine to set up this new user, so be patient until it's all logged in. (The mouse will be slow. You can change that in System Preferences Mouse panel if you want to.)

Now, open a Terminal window. Fastest way to do this: Spotlight (Cmd-Space), type in "terminal" and hit Return key once Terminal is highlighted in the Spotlight list.

Let Terminal get all set up, with a cursor available.

You'll see something very like:

Last login: Sat Jun 29 18:55:22 on console

ComputerName:~ apple$

At the cursor prompt, type:

sudo softwareupdate --list

Hit Return. Now you'll see:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

Type in the password you created, and hit Return. Now you should see:

Software Update Tool

Copyright 2002-2010 Apple

Software Update found the following new or updated software:

* GBExtraContent-1.0

GarageBand Instruments and Apple Loops (1.0), 1170290K [recommended]

Select and then copy (cmd-C) the GBExtraContent-1.0

Now, type at the ComputerName:~ apple$ prompt:

sudo softwareupdate --install GBExtraContent-1.0

Now, you'll see the update take place. It'll look like this:

Software Update Tool

Copyright 2002-2010 Apple

Downloading GarageBand Instruments and Apple Loops

104 KB of 1.2 GB

1 MB of 1.2 GB — About 14 minutes

2.5 MB of 1.2 GB — About 10 minutes

4.1 MB of 1.2 GB — About 8 minutes

6.1 MB of 1.2 GB — About 7 minutes

[This will continue until it's all downloaded.]

What you're seeing in that counting of GB and minutes is the countdown of the download and the install time. Let it run until it completes.

Give it a couple minutes to complete installing, and then start GarageBand in the admin login. It will take some time for GB to start up, because it's the first startup for this user. Several minutes.

Once it has completed (it takes a while, as I said), go to the Loop Browser. They should all be there, no gray.

Quit GB and go to your normal User and start GB there. The loops should all be present. If not, quit it and restart it. Now they should all be there.

At least, this worked for me this way.

Jun 29, 2013 11:50 PM in response to DStewart

DStewart,

running the installer from the Terminal is a perfect solution, if you cannot download the additional contents - thanks for posting this very clear workflow.

But just to clarify:

Contrary to the above response, it is NOT normal, and the grayed out loops are not supposed to be grayed out.

You are talking obout grayed out loops - that should indeed not occur, but IrrIsponsiblehas been asking about greyed out buttons in the loop browser,

but there are still some greyed out buttons.

and there are many reasons, that buttons may be dimmed, even with all loops properly installed.

To check, if all loops are installed, you have to look at the loops in list view and not look at the button panel.

Regards

Léonie

Feb 11, 2014 6:03 AM in response to IrrIsponsible

Same solution as teachereck.....Just bought a new MAC and found vocals and slide guitar loops greyed out even after downloading additional content. The version of Garageband is 10.0.1 and this worked for me although I was a liitle disappointed at the low number of vocal loops.

1) Click on GarageBand

2) Preferences

3) Uncheck Keyword Browsing in the loop section.

This ungreyed slide guitar and vocals..

Greyed out loops in Garageband 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.