Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I trade my MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011 2.2GHz 4GB OCZ SSD 4) for the new MacBook Air (Mid-2013)?

Hi, my current MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011) configuration is:

• Intel Core i7 (4-core 2.2GHz)
  • 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
  • OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

My geekbench score is about 9475 for 64-bit. The machine typically lasts about 3-5 hours off of charge if I'm just doing simple tasks like browising the web, watching YouTube videos, etc.

The only reason I've considered going to the MacBook Air 13" 128GB is that it weighs about half of mine, it's all flash memory and has upgraded chips, and it's 12-hour battery and 10-hour itune movie viewing.

I primarily use my MacBook for video-streaming from Netflix, watching movies, and playing sometimes to play games. I figured maybe the Air will deliver more of my wants better than my current machine.

Any suggestions?

Thank you! 🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 1:35 PM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2013 4:49 PM in response to CheerfulBiscuit

Really only you can make that decision. Even with being a 2011 model, it's still significantly more powerful than the new Airs. You mentioned you have Intel HD Graphics, but you also have a dedicated GPU. The quad-core CPU will easily out perform the new Airs as well. You may have a higher resolution display on your Pro... but you haven't indicated. Of course you have an optical drive as well (if you need it).

All in all, your 15" Pro is a more powerful machine. You just have to decide if the Air will meet your needs. Even with the HD 5000, the Air isn't going to be great with games... but it will be fine for the other things you mentioned.

Jul 10, 2013 10:20 PM in response to CheerfulBiscuit

I'm in the same postion as you, except I want to get the one with the 1.7 GHz processor. My main programs would be Reason 7 and basic PS editing. The benefit of a lighter machine, even if the Air slightly less powerful, seems to be strongly tempting me. Trying to downsize my computers. Let me know if you pull the trigger and what the results seem like to you.

Jul 10, 2013 11:43 PM in response to CheerfulBiscuit

Ive got both, the BIG gain in the air is that its like packing around an Ipad with the power of a Macbook Pro.

I tell people they dont REALLY appreciate the air unless they pack it around dozen times, or rest it on their lap or belly in bed, .... Im no pansy, but packing around a big ole laptop its just a "nope, im not doing that ANYMORE" after you own an AIR, ........its one of those "im NEVER going back" moments you experience in life.

In 4-8? years, i think all laptops will be a footnote in history, gone for good,... and everything is at LEAST going to be an Ipad sized device like an AIR.

Jul 12, 2013 7:22 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

How is the performance overall? I also have an Air, but it is the late 2010 C2D model that came out with the current design. I know what you mean about the portability, but how about the perfoamance? I would hate to spend 1850ish on it if I wont see the power of the pro. Has there been anything you couldn't do on the new air that you had to resort to the pro for?

Should I trade my MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011 2.2GHz 4GB OCZ SSD 4) for the new MacBook Air (Mid-2013)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.