Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 won't charge unless I wiggle the cable around to fine a spot where it works. It's not the cable/charger as it works perfectly in other iPhone 5's. I haven't even had it a year so it's still under warranty and the phone is in very good condition

Iphone 5 won't charge unless I wiggle the cable around to fine a spot where it works. It's not the cable/charger as it works perfectly in other iPhone 5's. I haven't even had it a year so it's still under warranty and the phone is in very good condition and has never been abused/dropped etc. I'm taking it into apple tomorrow for an appointment. Has anyone had this problem? if so, what happens? thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 2:27 PM

47 replies

Sep 18, 2017 6:03 AM in response to james993

The plastic of the charger should meet the metal of the phone (almost) if it doesn't and you have to wiggle it or push it hard to get it to charge you have something stuck in the port, get a toothpick or something similar and pick out the bits of pocket dust and other stuff crammed inside the charging port...

Jun 12, 2013 2:37 PM in response to james993

As you've mentioned it sounds like the connector. You could try very lightly brushing it out...but you are still under warranty. I think as long as there is no drop or water damage, or self-inflicted damage to the phone you have a very good shot at getting a warranty replacement. Apple is great to work with at the stores. Just be sure to tell them how you have swapped out cables and tried them with other devices.

Jun 12, 2013 5:26 PM in response to james993

You mention trying your cable with multiple phones, have you tried other cables with your iPhone? If not, what happens when you do? If you have, what happened when you did?

Considering that your iPhone is less than 1 year old (it was first released on 21 Sept, 2012) it should still be under Warranty, so I would suggest that you consider making an appointment at your local Apple Store Genius Bar and see what they have to say. If it is your iPhone, and it does not have accidental damage, or water damage, they will probably replace it for free.

Feb 12, 2014 6:58 AM in response to james993

I had the same problem and took my iPhone 5 into the Apple store. What happened was a little embarrassing. The genius took out a "special tool" (a paper clip) and began digging out an unimaginable amount of lint from the lightning connector port. After that I was able to connect the cord and charge without any issues.

A few days after, I realized that my problems associated with the remote/mic not working on my ear pods might be due to the same issue. (The volume and action buttons on the ear pods sometimes were not responsive) I grabbed a paper clip and began digging. Again, a large wad of lint came out of the headphone port and my ear pods have worked perfectly since.

Apr 22, 2014 6:06 AM in response to james993

I had the same problem for 3 frustrating weeks. I thought my iphone port was bad but I was wrong. It was all of the compacted lint that kept the chargers from having good contact with my phone. I used a paper clip to clean out my port and I was surprised at how much lint came out! Now my iphone charges like new. Hope this helps the next person.

Sep 23, 2014 9:44 AM in response to james993

ive literally had the same issue, I tried the paper clip trick a couple of times and nothing worked, so got a bit more worried.... Tried it once more, but decided to be much firmer, and out pops about 4 or 5 little lint balls, i flicked them all out for a few minutes and tried the cable again and it fixed everything!!! Paper clips are the way forward !!!

Oct 11, 2015 12:42 PM in response to james993

Don't miss this opportunity to dig with the paperclip. I saw the post, and was disappointed to see only a little lint coming out with a fair amount of effort, with no change in the charging status. I kept looking and poking, and then at one point, the whole apparent back end of the charging port began to show seismic movement with repeated paperclip bullying... then the whole back end popped out in one big chunk, leaving nothing but shiny metal underneath. The cord slid in with a satisfying click, the likes of which... well, I'll spare you the life metaphors. I have no doubt that, if you're completely reckless, you could hurt your phone with the paperclip - but that said, don't expect to find nothing but whimpy lint in the port... that stuff eventually takes on a plaster of paris consistency, and requires commensurate pressure and aggressiveness on your part to remove it.

Oct 20, 2015 7:41 PM in response to james993

I Would like to thank you all for this advice as it has successfully worked for me but I didn't use a paper clip cause I couldn't find one, so ill tell you what I did just in case some of yous haven't got a paper clip, get a some paper and rip the corner off and fold it so its small enough to fit in and have some movement and just wiggle it and then pull it out and then put the other end in what you haven't use and the paper collects the lint and then it should work, once again thanks I thought I had to send my phone off to get fix

Iphone 5 won't charge unless I wiggle the cable around to fine a spot where it works. It's not the cable/charger as it works perfectly in other iPhone 5's. I haven't even had it a year so it's still under warranty and the phone is in very good condition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.