Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequently system crash, OpenGL Channel Timeout

Hello,

in the last weeks my Mac Book Pro, 13", Mid 2010 crashes frequently (every three/four days) with the following last console entry:

kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

• I do not do any extensive OpenGL stuff (no videos, no 3d games). Most time I did nothing, just reading a web site or typing a text.
  • It shows up with 10.8.3 and 10.8.4
  • It shows only up if I have an external monitor conntected to my Mac Book Pro (HP LP 2065) -- which is the normal use cases
  • It does not show up in the time I use my Mac without the external display, but thats very rare
  • The Apple Support has already check the system for 24 hours, but the error does not happen on that test setup (with external display). This is two weeks ago. Two days later the error shows up again.
  • I do not shutdown the system, I just disconnect the external display, and close the Mac Book Pro.

I did some Google search, I get some information, but nothing realy helpfull.

Any ideas how to fix it? How to reproduce it?Apple currently refuses to change the hardware because they do not think it is a hardware bug.

Regards,

Jens

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 2:22 PM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2013 11:46 PM in response to Jens12

The graphics processor is failing.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Jun 13, 2013 10:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the answer. I did already a "genius" appointment. And I told them: the graphic is failing.

But I got two advices:

1. I should check if it always appear if the external display is connected
  2. I should do a clean installation of my system

Both should be done to avoid the situation, to have a software fault and not a hardware fault.

I had the discussion with the man from the suport team and there was no chance to get a harware replacement.

By the way I have a "Apple Care Protection" bought with the computer for a lot of money and now I have to figure out why machine crashes frequently out of nothing. No helpd from Apple 😟.

So any other suggestions, information with which I can go to the (great) "Genius" appointment. Thanks in advanced.

Frequently system crash, OpenGL Channel Timeout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.