Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After a library has been created with the "Copy items to the iPhoto library" option unselected, can it later be made to create those copies?

iPhoto 9.4.3

iPhoto Library Manager 3.6.8

MacBook Pro - OS X 10.7.5.

I have a large number of iPhoto libraries, organized with iPhoto Library Manager, that I created with the "Copy items to the iPhoto library" option unselected because I wanted easier access to the individual files. I am now going to be migrating to a new computer and have run into some problems with iPhoto losing the path to the file, and as a result showing me the exclamation point of doom. What's more, the program doesn't seem very intelligent about rebuilding those lost connections, and I have to go back through and correct it manually almost one at a time. How do I get around this problem?

If I rebuild my new computer from a Time Machine backup (I usually enjoy taking this opportunity to start from a clean slate, but...), will the paths all be preserved without me needing to abandon my organization system?

Or is there some way to ask iPhoto or Library Manager to create and organize copies of all the photos in the library that are not currently present within the library?

On a tangentially related note, what's the best way to save keywords (and ideally also faces) added in iPhoto to the photos' meta data?

Much obliged.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 2:27 PM

1 reply

Jun 12, 2013 2:32 PM in response to AZPB

Not with iPhoto by itself. If you have the lastest version of Aperture and iPhoto referenced libraries can be converted to managed with Aperture.

You can convert to a managed library with iPhoto Library Manager by rebuilding the library with iPLM. This will create a new, managed library with all your photos in it and with all Events, albums, keywords, titles, descriptions and places intact. However, books, calendars, slideshows and cards will not be retained. They will end up as albums containing the photos.

OT

After a library has been created with the "Copy items to the iPhoto library" option unselected, can it later be made to create those copies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.