Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My pictures in Aperture are black when I open the photo the picture. Help!!

I have restarted the Mac with no luck. This seems to happen from either camera I use.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 6:15 PM

5 replies

Jun 20, 2013 10:25 PM in response to TEAMCUILLA

When I click on the "black box" wich should be the picture I see the photo, however when i close the photo the thumbnail goes back to being a blackbox.

Try to recreate the thumbnails:

In Aperture select the photos in the browser, and use the command "Photos > Generate Thumnails" from the main menu bar.

If that does not help, try to repair your Aperture library with the Aperture Library First Aid tools, as described in Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics:

Press and hold the Option and Command keys as you start Aperture. The Aperture Library First Aid dialog will appear and offer the following three troubleshooting options:

• Repair Permissions. Some issues in Aperture may be caused by incorrect permissions for items in the library. To correct the permissions for your library, select the option to Repair Permissions then click the Repair button. You must authenticate with a user name and password for a user account with administrative access to perform this operation.
  • Repair Database. Sometimes internal structures within the library may become damaged and cause unexpected behavior; you can use Repair Database to try to correct the issue. Select the option to Repair Database then click the Repair button.
  • Rebuild Database. For more severe issues that can't be corrected with Repair Permissions or Repair Database, you can try Rebuild Database. It is strongly recommended that you have a complete backup of your Aperture library before performing this operation, either in the form of a recently updated vault, or a Time Machine backup. Select the option to Rebuild Database then click the Rebuild button in the Aperture Library First Aid dialog.

Before trying to rebuild, make sure you have a current backup of your library. Post back, if that does not bring the thumbnails back.

Léonie

My pictures in Aperture are black when I open the photo the picture. Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.