Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I frequently download (legal) torrents, is there a program/antivirus I need to install to keep my macbook safer?

This computer is new to me and I'm just paranoid about not having an antivirus even though everyone says you don't need one.

(Please refrain from suggesting I not download torrents, as that is part of my question) 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 7:19 PM

9 replies

Jun 12, 2013 7:26 PM in response to rumblefishx

No, not at all. If you choose to bypass OS X's built-in protections including Gatekeeper there is absolutely nothing that will prevent you from downloading and installing junk that can wreak havoc limited only by a developer's imagination.

Perhaps one day there will be no way to install anything on a Mac that does not originate directly from Apple, similar to the iOS App Store, but I'm not looking forward to it. At present you are free to mess up your Mac to your heart's content.

Jun 12, 2013 7:42 PM in response to rumblefishx

rumblefishx wrote:

what do you mean bypassing built-in protections?

https://ssl.apple.com/osx/what-is/security.html

Nothing can prevent you from willingly granting a process superuser privileges, and breaking your Mac.

This is not limited to torrents. Harmful or simply poorly written software is abundant and available directly from their developers. Many such examples are "anti-virus" or similar utilities promising to "speed up", "clean up" or "optimize" your Mac.

Jun 12, 2013 7:57 PM in response to rumblefishx

You can download it if you want. Most other Mac OS X antivirus programs and all of those which actually require payment for usage should be avoided; if you think you need a maintenance utility, you're better off searching for one yourself instead of accepting any which are advertised to you.

(84213)

Jun 12, 2013 8:23 PM in response to rumblefishx

ClamXav is not harmful but cannot prevent you from doing something stupid. Neither can anything else.

It is a common misconception that some magic shield exists that can make the inherently unsafe behaviour of downloading and installing software from torrent sites a safe activity. It's just not so. Installable software obtained in that manner is almost guaranteed to contain malware.

Popular "anti-virus" utilities use slick marketing tactics with confidence-inspiring characters like this

User uploaded file

and this

User uploaded file

They are highly effective marketing tools, but their products are for suçkers. Don't be one.

You have to "practice safe computing" on your own, and that means educating yourself about Internet threats and scams that will always be with us. If you do that, you will reach the same conclusions that have led to the recommendations I made.

If I frequently download (legal) torrents, is there a program/antivirus I need to install to keep my macbook safer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.