Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s battery drain and greyed wifi issues

Hi! my iphone 4s (I bought it as 2nd hand from my friend) was updated to iOS 6.1.3. since that its was upgraded to said version, wifi's greyed out and I had noticed the longevity of the battery had decreased.

-for the wifi issue, i had reset my network my network settings, then it was fine...after a while, I can't connect to our home wifi, resert again the phone, and voila! wifi's greyed out.

-for the battery drain issue, I can't still resolve this problem. I try to hard reset, fresh restore and do all the suggestions in this and other forums, but still the battery quickly drains even when it is in idle. I had recorded the % of battery w/ respect to time while I'm writing this issue.

batt.% time(am)

86% 10:29

85 10:33

84 10:41

83 10:50

82 10:58

So far, the phone only lasts for [1.5 hr usage/4-5 hrs standby] and this really frustrating because I need to charge 2 times a day. please fix this problem. thanks.

P.S. Someone suggest that it might be fixed if I downgrade it to 6.1.2., wifi is okay and has good battery performance... can someone confirm it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 8:01 PM

5 replies

Aug 7, 2013 11:10 PM in response to Parknarodowy

I have exactly the same issue as mentioned above, on two iPhone 4S phones. My wife's phone is the same as mine. She has 6.1.3 and her phone is fine. My phone started having wifi connectivity issues a few weeks ago. I read the Apple forums, performed the suggested "fixes" including a software restore, and the malfunction persisted. I called Apple support and they were surprised about my issue. They suggested I turn on Airplane mode and Do Not Disturb and power down my phone for 15 minutes. I tried this and it worked for about 24 hours, then the problem returned. I then called the Verizon support line. They sent me a replacement phone. I set it up and it was working perfectly. Within 30 hours the probem returned, on a different device.

Some are reporting that Bluetooth does not work with this issue. My blue tooth still works, on both devices.

I am confused. Is this a virus of somekind, a software issue, a hardware issue? Please help.

Oct 9, 2013 11:15 AM in response to Santastick

The wifi and bluietooth issues are DEFINITLEY a hardware issue---I had the same problems --took the phione to the Apple Store--they told me that the new OS had uncovered a heretofore unknown flaw in the wifi and bluietooth parts of the hardware--there is NO software fix----they will replace the phone for free if it is under warranty----if not they charge $199-----I - fortunatley --left with a new free 4S that works fine.

At the same time I was there they replaced 2 others---the iPad checkin software they use to set appointments has a special code word for the issue----it is well known among the repair guys-they didnt even look at the phone other than for the 'grayed out' wifi tabs--they are just not advertising the fact that they have this issue.....

Oct 13, 2013 11:10 PM in response to Parknarodowy

My wife's phone is doing the exact same thing. iPhone 4s 64G and soon as ios7 was installed the battery life has gone down the drain (yes I did all the suggested fixes to cut down on the battery drain), but the battery just drains for no reason. It was at 100% this afternoon and now it is at 23% and the phone has been sitting on the dresser not doing anything. Also the Wifi is greyed out. The phone is mint and has always been in an otter box. I am not going to try to freeze or heat my phone, it is clearly something with the update to ios 7. My wife was so mad about the battery thinking it wa apples way of making people ugrade to a new phone, she went out and bought a Galaxy S4. I am also due for an upgrade, but if Apple is not going to do anything about this, I amy also look to another manufacturer as well after having an 3S, 4 and 4S.

Jan 30, 2014 9:03 PM in response to Parknarodowy

My Wi-fi is greyed out and my battery does not last very long. I am constantly charging it and it gets hot when I use it. It's sad to see so many posts for the same thing. It's a bummer as I have been a loyal iPhone customer for many years. I wish that they would come up with an update to fix these issues before they run out of customers. I have been debating changing wireless plans but should probably consider changing phones.

Apr 3, 2014 1:51 AM in response to Parknarodowy

I know what its like, i had the same issue where the wifi is greyed and battery starts to drain...

But ive fixed it sorta, but improved! Where i did the blow drier and freezer method and the wifi works, its been about 2mouths where wifi is off and not greyed,

If u want to fix this issue and its amazing what the battery is than before

Eg: 100% 8:30am

99% 10:30am

98% 11:00am

Etc...

And when i finish school which is 3.30pm the battery is only 90% where when it was greyed it was 40% after finishing school!

But if u do this blow drier method and freezer method then it will slove your issue and wifi will work again but its just temporary where it may only work for 1mouth etc...

iPhone 4s battery drain and greyed wifi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.