Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari may have a virus

Just tonight I have the never before seen symptom of a browser hijack. Queries to Google end up on a Yahoo! Page. I have seen this before on MS machines, but never IOS.

iPad, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 9:46 PM

3 replies

Jun 13, 2013 4:51 AM in response to Diavonex

Diavonex,

Thanks for the reply. I followed your advice, and the problem still persists. I even tried clearing, and then completely powering off the iPad.

Typing anything into the search field at the top of the Safari page (an oval that says "Google" in it) results in a Yahoo! error report, "HTTP Status 404 - /search".

Further, the address box clearly contains www.google.com/search?q=safari&ie=UTF-8&&oe=UTF-8&&hl=en&client=safari which is a valid URL.

Ugh!

Jun 14, 2013 3:23 AM in response to KJunk

See:

Eliminating browser redirects and advertisements

It sounds like the browser is displaying a Yahoo page even when the address bar clearly contains a URL pointing to a Google server. In that case, it's most likely to be a DNS server issue. Go through the tests mentioned on that page anyway, but I strongly suspect the DNS-related fixes will be most relevant here.

Clearing your history, cookies and data is not a solution to this kind of problem.

Safari may have a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.