Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard temporary malfunction 10.8.4

Hello,

I have big problem.

After upgrade to 10.8.4 I have problem with my macbook (I'm not sure, if upgrade is problem, but it's singnificant event). I install some other problems..

I use notebook every day, average 10hours. Before this I don't have any problem.

During work, keys: i u y t is temporary not wwite letters function...in one minute no work, other hour works properly...no hardware issue (no watter, no fall).

The issue is same after restart, after reinstallation of OS (no clean reinstallation, only reinstalation).

The issue is still here after more then 10 restarts...

Problem is, that the issue occurs in first log into computer too (before boot process...hwen I input password for my account - I have crypted disk)

I try anything...(look for user processes in activity monitor, startup sequence and more other things - with uncle google 😮.

Issue is same for another new created user, for root too.

No I don;t have any idea.....Please help me.

Model: Macbook 15" Early 2011

Summary:

- no hardware problem, issue is temporary

- no watter or fall of macbook

- try reinstallation of OS (no full clean reinstallation)

- no another idea to solve issue ...:o(

Please help me.

Thanks a lot

Petr Simbera

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), temporary malfunction keyboard

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 3:12 AM

44 replies

Jun 13, 2013 3:31 PM in response to dominic23

Hello,

thanks for your interest. I try both...after reset keyboard has correct functionality, but after 2 hour works wth notebook a have same problem...some keyboard key not works properly (all time is only letter t/y/u/i/o). Another works well.

I noticed one more things...I'm not sure, if is important.....often immediately before malfunction during press malfunctioned letter, I hear the same sound, as when HDD go to safe mode after concussion.

Do you have any other idea ?

Have a nice day

Petr

Jun 22, 2013 6:16 PM in response to psimbera1

Hi psimbera1,

I don't know if you managed to solve this issue. Anyway, I am having exactly the same problem, with the same t y u i o keys. Sometimes all of them stop working, or become just very slow at responding. Then all of the sudden they work properly, but just for a minute or two, very unpredictably.

An external keyboard works fine, instead.

I have the same mpb model of yours, the same version of software, which leads me to think it is indeed a (very annoying) software issue.

Hope Apple fixes this soon .... or did you find any solution? I wish I could roll back the OS, like in Windows (Apple, do you understand?)

Thanks

Jun 23, 2013 12:22 AM in response to Stollentroll

Hi,

just an update: having read on some other post about possible issues with the update to 10.8.4 made using the Software Update tool, I downloaded the 10.8.4 "combo" update, and re-installed the system: to no avail, the problem is still there.

I also tried to update some third party software, like Dropbox, again to no avail.

I noticed also is that a can obtain a few seconds of respite if I press the keys t y u i o simultaneously: then for a few seconds (sometimes minutes) they restart working.

Thanks

Jun 23, 2013 6:21 AM in response to Stollentroll

Hi,

yet another update; I may have found a workaround!

As an alternate way to enter characters, I had put up the on-screen keyboard (from System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Tab Keyboard); after a while, I noticed that the issue with the "t y u i o" keys had disappeared, and those characters could be entered again from the physical keyboard !

This might be a coincidence, I hadn't accumulated sufficient statistics yet: however, it's easy and safe to test, and if this is true, on one hand it's a strong indication that the issue is with the 10.8.4 OS, and not with hardware.

On the other hand, keeping the on-screen keyboard up and running on a corner of the screen is a very minor inconvenience, that can keep us working until Apple releases (hopefully ...) a decent fix.

Best

Jun 25, 2013 2:31 PM in response to psimbera1

Hi psimbera,

as I wrote already, I have exactly the same problem, and I must add that the workaround I had proposed does not work.

However, I have another piece of evidence: it seems that the problem occurs more frequently while the TimeMachine carries out a backup, or in the minutes immediately after the backup is concluded.

I am using for backups on an external USB disk, powered by the MBP USB port: I am wondering whether the disk is overloading the USB, either by drawng too much power, or by saturating the bandwidth; in fact, also the internal keyboard is an USB device. No idea why this should affect the t y u i o keys more than others, honestly...

What I keep noticing is that when the keys hang, if I hit several of them simultaneously, the problem goes away for a few seconds or minutes; perhaps because of a surge of current, waking up some sleeping circuit?

Anyway, did you try removing external USB devices? Did you notice any correlation with Time Machne?

Thanks

Jun 26, 2013 4:52 AM in response to Stollentroll

Hi,

I don't have any experience with external USB devices during this issue. I don't have any. But, when I connect external USB keyboard, then in 2 cases is issue fixed (for some time), in another 2 case no fixed.

Currenct status is, that I use workaround with simultaneously press all problem keys for a few second, and issue is solved for some time. Time periodicity of issue is unpredictable.

Today or tomorow I will have another MacBook and I get this to repair service for discovery error. (my opinion is, that this issue is based on hardware) (not fixed by clean reinstall Mac OSX with disk formating with actual ML disc , no solving by PRAM and SC reset, the error occurs immediately when entering the password for the encrypted disk while booting)

I will report progress or service outputs

Have a nice day

Petr S.

Jun 27, 2013 1:37 AM in response to psimbera1

Hi,

thanks! I will be interested in what the service says: I still suspect a software issue, because the problem is really intermittent (for instance, now it works fine!), and started shortly after the upgrade to 10.8.4.

Anyway, apparently an upgrade to 10.8.5 is expected soon (a beta has been circulated to developers about one week ago), and maybe it will solve the issue.

Best

Andrea V.

Jul 9, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Stan1973

Hi,

I am not sure that what I am proposing is a true solution: it might be that I am just experiencing one of those intervals during which the keyboard works fine for no clear reason.

This said, I read some advice that flash player might be responsible of several issues on Macs, and that clearing its cache could help. This is a simple action, that shouldn't have adverse consequences, so it's worth trying.

Just go to System Preferences, then under Other click Flash Player, then under one of the tabs you will find the button allowing to clear the cache.

To be honest, I have no clue about why clearing this cache should have system-wide effects, and not just on the browsers: anyway, maybe it will work for you as (perhaps) is working for me.

Best

Andrea

Sep 13, 2013 11:36 AM in response to psimbera1

Hello all,

I have newest update, but I have a bad message....:o(

Service technician problem were also identified, verify it, but Apple refused free replacement topcase. The technician also confirmed that the error is not caused by misuse (no external influences, or depending on the software).

I wonder what is the best next step. I paid for a superior product much money, but Apple's behavior is the same as for Vietnamese companies.

Can anyone advise me how to proceed?

Issue was to support solutions under number 2196970, I'm glad to support.

Because I expected serious negotiations, I bought a newer MacBook with the fact that after this repair sell to the bazaar. If I had known, I would have preferred a cheaper Windows PC, where I would expect that level, but I'd pay about 2/3 less money

Have a nice day

Petr😠

keyboard temporary malfunction 10.8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.