Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it necessary to buy an AppleCare Plan in the same country where you bought your Mac?

I'm from the Philippines, and obviously it's where I bought my "13 non-Retina MBP. I want to buy an APP for it, but the cost here in our country is kind of expensive on my part. While browsing in our local Mac forums, I came up with a link to a US store that sells much cheaper APPs:B&H Photo Video.

Is it valid to buy an APP in the US even if I bought my MBP locally here in the Philippines? Are there existing terms or conditions like these that apply when it comes to buying APPs? I'm paranoid of going through this route as maybe Apple would reject my intended APP registration, thus wasting my money in the process.

I'll try to email the store's sales support to see what I can come up with.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 3:03 AM

9 replies

Jun 13, 2013 6:43 AM in response to Panoy

It's generally been recommended that you purchase the AppleCare plan in the country in which you live. While you may be able to successfully register an AppleCare plan purchased in the US, there have been reports of problems with that, so I'd suggest you not take the risk just to save some pesos. Up to you, though.

Regards.

Jun 13, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Panoy

Beware that the warranty is not equal for all Apple products. Mobile devices (laptops, iGadgets) have a worldwide policy and can be taken for repair at any Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider wherever you may find yourself. Desktop/server products are country-specific: can only be serviced in the country they were purchased.

Jun 13, 2013 9:22 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph Landry1 wrote:

I think you reversed what you meant to say, the iDevices do not all have international warranties...the iPhone and iPad warranties are only valid in the country of sale. Computers do hae international warranties.

No, I meant it straightforward, albeit a bit of precision is needed. Mac portables are covered worldwide. iPods and Wi-Fi-only iPads are covered worldwide. iPhones and cellular iPads are country-of-sale. Mac desktops are country-of-sale.

This as specified and explained by the local Level 2 AASP I deal with.

Jun 13, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Courcoul

Ok, and to make things even muddier, the warranty that came with my iPhone says "may" restrict the terms to the country...etc. So even that does not say absolutely will. This whole thing is so convoluted and iffy I cannot imagine deliberately buying a warranty anywhere but where you purchase the product and live...the validity of the warranty is just too questionable.

Jun 13, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Tell me about it! Having finally drunk the iPhone koolaid, am anxious to ensure the longevity of the iGadget. However, it now turns out that there is no AppleCare for iPhones in Mexico.

The AASP suggested that, should I have a visit No. of the border, I physically pick up the agreement at any Apple Store and activate it. But he couldn't guarantee that Apple would honor it, in spite of having taken my money already.

Jun 13, 2013 9:25 PM in response to varjak paw

What kind of problems do you think would arise from buying an APP outside of my own country?

I've read the terms and conditions, and one obvious thing turned out is the refund policy. I'm not sure but the way I understand it is this: If I bought an APP in the US and my MBP is bought from my country (Philippines), I'm not entitled to a refund of my APP (in case I don't want it) because I bought it from the US, which is obviously I'm not a citizen of. Unlike if I bought it from Asia Pacific Region (Singapore governs the rules), I'm entitled to a refund because I'm from Asia.

But the obvious thing is I'm still entitled to hardware and service support because APP is international. I've also read a post here that a Japanese guy bought an APP from Amazon US because like my situation here, he found the APPs being sold in Japan too expensive. It's $249 in Apple Store while it's $179 in B & H. Representatives from B & H tolde me it's just fine, said it would be valid for my computer and in my country.

I'll see what I can come up with and I'll be posting on my experience.

Is it necessary to buy an AppleCare Plan in the same country where you bought your Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.