Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you upgrade the hardware in a MacBook Air 2012

Hi, my name is Mark Bourke. I was given a present of a MacBook air 13" maxed out (everything upgraded to the max). It was bought for me because I liked the look of it and I had been keeping an eye on it for a while. Prior and during this I was gaming on my Xbox until I got fed up of paying the fees and started to game on my mac. I started gaming on OS 10 and then bootcamped over to Windows 7 because of the lack of games and poor support for gamepads. It was then that I realised I needed more processing power and VRAM. I looked into an eGPU and had my mind set but then I thought I would ask you if I could change the internal GPU. Then with the release of the new MacBook air's and the 4th gen Intel haswell CPU's I wondered if I would change the CPU too. Could you tell me if this is in any way possible or if I am just wasting my time. Thanks

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 6:14 AM

Nope - the macbook air is a single integrated unit under the hood. Nothing is user upgradeable (at least not practically or without a lot of desoldering/soldering and major electronic surgery).

5 replies

Jun 13, 2013 6:23 AM in response to pigytips

Since the device is not user upgradeable, you will have to scoure the internet for the specifics of the logicboard, chipsets used and so on to figure out compatability and what would or would not work. That is not general knowledge information, so you'll have to search and find it all yourself. I'd also wager you'll end up spending as much or even more moeny than a new machine would be.

Honestly, to me, it would not be even remotely worth the effort. Sell the current MBA and buy what you really want or need. If PC gaming is really your big thing, I would honestly suggest getting a Windows native PC and not an Apple product in the first place (you'll get better gaming experience for less money).

Jun 13, 2013 7:32 AM in response to pigytips

It is, effectively, impossible. The GPU is part of the processor, there is not a separate dedicated GPU in the Air. Unless you have the equipment necessary to desolder hundreds of contact points simultaneously in order to remove the CPU, you would not be able to even remove the chip. I haven't looked too much into this, but I believe Haswell also uses a different socket (I could be wrong on that though). I would point out that I have NEVER heard of this being done.

Can you upgrade the hardware in a MacBook Air 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.