Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 usb wire, broke after 6 months?. This is the 2nd one!

Is it under warrenty or would i have to buy a new one? 2 ive have had now both broke within 6 months. Never had this problem with the iphone 4 wires, had them for years, still using them, still going strong.. Any opinions about iphone 5 usb wire?. Thanks

iPhone 5

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 6:54 AM

1 reply

Jun 17, 2013 1:07 PM in response to ryanbroadley

if you don't mind me asking, how is it broken? did the cord fray, did it actually disconnect, or you can't visually tell the problem but it just no longer re-charges the phone? Also, are you charging directly from an outlet or from a computer? From a USB port on a computer? What kind of computer?

The reason I ask is because I have a similar problem. I purchased my iphone 5 about a month ago, and I've already gone through 2 usb charge/sync cables. It is absolutely ridiculous, the cable has to be in a "particular" position in order to charge/sync when it is attached to my Macbook Air - furthermore, there's evidence of a slight burn/black mark on the actual pins on the end going into the iphone. The 2nd cord that charges the phone in my room directly from the wall has no problems.

When I spoke to the individual at the Apple Genius Bar, he said I had to bring in everything (macbook air, iphone, cords etc.) before he'll look at the problem. However, after combing through this community, it seems like this is a known issue.

Iphone 5 usb wire, broke after 6 months?. This is the 2nd one!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.