Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I updated to os X 10.8.4 Safari is very slow and crashes

I just updated to os X 10.8.4, and since then safari 6.0.5 is very slow, websites like youtube take forever to load, and I have problems opening new tabs.

I hope someone can help me.

P.S. Sorry for my english, not my first language.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 4:53 AM

Reset Safari.

Click Safari in the menu bar.

From the drop down select "Reset Safari".

Uncheck the box next to " Remove saved names and passwords".

Click "Reset".

Safari 6

Empty Caches

1. Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

2. Option click the "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" and then "Caches".

Right click "com.apple.Safari" and select "Move to Trash"

Relaunch Safari.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2013 4:53 AM in response to babouneD

Reset Safari.

Click Safari in the menu bar.

From the drop down select "Reset Safari".

Uncheck the box next to " Remove saved names and passwords".

Click "Reset".

Safari 6

Empty Caches

1. Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

2. Option click the "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" and then "Caches".

Right click "com.apple.Safari" and select "Move to Trash"

Relaunch Safari.

Jun 13, 2013 8:07 AM in response to babouneD

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Jun 13, 2013 11:24 AM in response to babouneD

Do you get a notice that Safari has quit unexpectedly? If so, please do the following.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter the name of the crashed application or process in the Filter text field. Select the messages from the time of the last crash, if any. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in the Console window, look under User Diagnostic Reports for crash reports related to the process. The report name starts with the name of the crashed process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent report and post the entire contents — again, the text, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.) Please don’t post shutdownStall, spin, or hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

Jun 16, 2013 3:36 PM in response to babouneD

After I upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8, Safari ran like a pig. Took forever to load and seemed to stall before it would load pages. I tried all of the things mentioned above to no avail. After weeks of this I started noticing my iPads were also having Safari issues. I decided to reboot my modem and router. Viola, Safari ran fine.

Jun 20, 2013 6:03 PM in response to babouneD

So I am fairly new to the world of a Mac (had mine about 2 months). I received a notice about updating. However, as obviously everyone knows, this was not a cheap computer and I'm scared about updating and causing issues to my computer that currently runs fine. I know that the updates are recommended to the Mac. Has anyone ever updated and had issues after? Any recommendations for updating or doing anything prior to updating? Thanks for the help and guidance.

P.S. I know that this was in regards to Safari changes but ya'll seemed knowledgable about the Mac and thought you might have some advice/wisdom for me.

Jun 30, 2013 9:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi!

My post probably stands with one foot on being related to the OP and the other probably not.

The related part has to do with the fact that my safari had been crashing the last few days (maybe I had helped for this to happen; it's not that I didn't do anything unusual lately), but I had been keeping ignoring it (except of trying emptying cashes, deleting the related file from Cashes folder and restarting/resetting the app, also repairing permissions), since I had no problem with other Internet browsers. The diagnostic report was looking more or less like this and Safari was keeping "quitting unexpectedly", mostly when I was trying to insert information in search or login fields, but also in some other cases. Finally, thanks to Linc Davis' answer, now it is working again.Following the steps described, I first logged in as a guest user. There, Safari was working properly, then I logged in in safe mode, I tested Safari and was working properly there as well, but the OS had frozen twice when I was trying to open a new Tab, with the Safari window flickering at the most visited web pages (I had finally to shut down from the power button). I gave up testing in safe mode and I logged in normally (wondering about what I should next) to find out that Safari was back to normal again.

The irrelevant part, has to do with my inquiry what was after all the problem about. Why was it crashing especially with search/login fields? What kind of utility is responsible in this cases, which was not affecting the guest user account or in safe mode? Also, while in safe mode, I guess the problem with the flickering window and that iTunes was not playing tracks is normal, due to the drivers been used, isn't it?

Jul 22, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis...

I did the steps that you suggested. In step one on the guest user account Safari acted great. In Safe mode Safari acted the same as it did in "normal" mode. In the Console these are the error messages I get (in normal mode):

7/22/13 8:22:38.484 PM Safari[390]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid

7/22/13 8:23:32.229 PM Safari[390]: CGContextClipToRect: invalid context 0x0

7/22/13 8:45:30.781 PM Safari[390]: CGContextClipToRect: invalid context 0x0

7/22/13 8:45:37.504 PM Safari[390]: CGContextClipToRect: invalid context 0x0

I have no idea what this means and don't know if this will help in diagnosing the problem. It seems to me that the problem is Safari but I dont know.

Since I updated to os X 10.8.4 Safari is very slow and crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.