this thread died?
@ Apple: wifi connection stil randomly drop as written on first post, even if wifi icon show connection, please say something!
My Apple experience is going from bad to worse. As I posted earlier in this huge thread, I've found it impossible to open web pages on my MBAir when I've been at conference centres and hotels doing presentations. To try to circumvent this, I had hoped to use my Airport Expresses (I have two, a mark 1 and a mark 2) to create a local network that my MBA could see. Clever, no? No.
Last Saturday, even this was thwarted: my MBA could see my APE-created network OK, but the APE itself couldn't get an IP or DNS from the attached Ethernet cable connection. Brilliant.
So, APEs can't get me a "cabled" signal for the creation of my own wireless network. What am I supposed to do now? Rewire and/or reconfigure every conference centre I have to work in so that my MBA and APEs can get a signal?!?
As I said, brilliant.
I'd prefer Apple to think of just ONE new colour for the next iPhone, and devote the rest of their creative ingenuity and tech wizardry to fixing this wireless garbage.
PS Suggestion for colour: puce. So that's sorted. Now fix the wireless. Thanks.
I did the driver rollback a few days ago which fixed my latency issue on Mountain Lion.
I have now updated to Mavericks and latency still looks good. I have checked the driver file and it looks as if it has copied a new one and I am not having issues as of yet. Will check every now and then to see if it's still working as expected.
Yeaaaaaaaa! It's fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mavericks fixed it!!!!!!!!!
I just installed and it's pinging:
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=1.584 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.687 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.196 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0.722 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=1.704 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=1.256 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=1.066 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=1.383 ms
BTW it looks like a new firmware too:
Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (220.127.116.11.45)
To highlight @JCC123's comment, it looks like Mavericks ships with driver version 18.104.22.168.45
I've been using the new driver for a few hours now, and have also been experiencing much better wifi connectivity. Will continue to test over the next few days and report back if I notice any shortcomings.
Haven't posted in a LONG time. On my 2nd MBA (2013). Never upgraded the software on the second one. Been chugging along. A few ping latency issues on the neighbor's wifi I use, but nothing major. Cruisin' on the airport extremes at the office.
Updated to mavericks based on these recent posts. Here's my ping results off this old Netgear Router. Not looking too good:
--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
134 packets transmitted, 133 packets received, 0.7% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.180/144.533/1651.594/200.594 ms
Mavericks doesn't fix it (from my point of view). Just installed Mavericks. Using the built-in wifi on my 2013 MBA, I get 24ms ping, 2.54 Mbps download and 1.3 Mbps upload. Switched back to the Iogear wifi and tested immediately. Got: 11 ms ping, 35 Mbps download, 5.97 Mbps upload. Pretty much the same results I got under Mountain Lion. Im using Speedtest.net to test wifi because I'm less interested in ping and more interested in download speed. As I've found out, they aren't well correlated.