Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iMac 7,1 running OS X and my DVD drive has to stop working

I put a disk in the drive and it makes a noise like its going to read it, then makes the noise again, and again ... then spits it back out.

Basically I insert disk into the side slot.

It sounds like its going to mount then stops, then sounds like its going to mount again and again, ... then spits the disk back out.

Nothing seems to be here on the forum.

There was mention of a superdrive with a simular problem and said they solved optical drive problems by cleaning the lens.

Wrapped a lens cloth around a credit card and slipped it into the slot of the optical drive. I think the lens is on the left side.

Could this work ???, ... if so which side is lens. My drive is a slot on the right hand side, of the Mac.

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 7:09 AM

I would NOT recommend shoving In a lens cloth cover credit card! Really!!???

That is a good way to damage the drive even further.

Best bet is to purchase a dry brush retail/commercially available CD/DVD lens cleaning disc to see if that will bring the drive back to life.

It's the cheapest fix, initially, if it works.

If the lens cleaning disc doesn't work, this means the drive is dead and will have to consider purchasing an external optical drive to use with your iMac.

SuperDrives failing in iMacs seems to be the first, and most common, of hardware failures.

Good Luck!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2013 7:09 AM in response to fluffs007

I would NOT recommend shoving In a lens cloth cover credit card! Really!!???

That is a good way to damage the drive even further.

Best bet is to purchase a dry brush retail/commercially available CD/DVD lens cleaning disc to see if that will bring the drive back to life.

It's the cheapest fix, initially, if it works.

If the lens cleaning disc doesn't work, this means the drive is dead and will have to consider purchasing an external optical drive to use with your iMac.

SuperDrives failing in iMacs seems to be the first, and most common, of hardware failures.

Good Luck!

Jun 18, 2013 4:22 AM in response to fluffs007

OK, Did the lens cleaning disc, and it still doesn't work.

So I went out and bought a USB Superdrive.

Got home all excited ... plugged it in ... NOTHING ... and by NOTHING ... I mean NOTHING ????????

CAN ANYONE HELP ... ????

As title says ... I have an - 2008 - iMac 7,1 - Intel Core 2 Duo - OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A -
Currently only running a OS X 10.5.8, but want to update.

Jun 18, 2013 4:43 AM in response to MichelPM

OK, Did the lens cleaning disc, and it still doesn't work.

So I went out and bought a USB Superdrive.

Got home all excited ... plugged it in ... NOTHING ... and by NOTHING ... I mean NOTHING ????????

CAN ANYONE HELP ... ????

As title says ... I have an - 2008 - iMac 7,1 - Intel Core 2 Duo - OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A -
Currently only running a OS X 10.5.8, but want to update.

Help pleaseeee

Jun 18, 2013 7:47 PM in response to MichelPM

Sorry,

I thought would post up another, as I concidered it a seperate topic,
but pasted the beginning of the old post, to give any helpers a background of situation at hand.

Also this seems these built in dvd drives are a big problem, I thought it would be helpfull to others.

link to

USB SuperDrive install to 2008 iMac 7,1

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5112085?answerId=22275997022#22275997022

I have an iMac 7,1 running OS X and my DVD drive has to stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.