Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: Customise the "Info Inspector"

Hi

Could anyone offer some advice on how to to this…customise the INFO INSPECTOR.

In the "Info Inspector"

I can select a specific Metatadata View (from the pop-up menue)

eg "General"

User uploaded file

Another View is "Large Caption"

eg

User uploaded file

OK - my question is: how do I create a custom view for:

"Large Keyword"

Identical in format to the view of "Large Caption" (shown above)

Hope some one can help.

Tony (from London, UK)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 7:14 AM

13 replies

Jun 13, 2013 7:39 AM in response to N14

You can put any of the available fields in any Metadata View.

You can order the fields in any Metadata View by dragging+dropping.

Most (perhaps all?) of the fields resize to show their content. The Keywords field will always show you all of the keywords assigned to the Primary Selection.

User uploaded file

Does that help? If not, post more about what you are trying to do (and why).

(Added:)

To create a custom Metadata View, click "Edit" at the bottom of the Metadata Views drop-down. This launches the Metadata Views dialog, where you create and customize all your Metadata Views. Full instructions are in the User Manaul.

--Kirby.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Jun 13, 2013 7:56 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

yes, all metadata fields adapt their sizes to the content.

But the "Large Caption" metadata preset is a strange animal:

• The caption field is alway large, even initially when empty.
  • The caption field does not have a metadata label beside the "Caption" field.
  • The preset cannot be edited - at least I do not know how.
  • The preset is in a separate brick in the Metadata drop-down menu.

Do you have any idea why?

I am glad N14 asked this 😀

Léonie

Jun 13, 2013 8:20 AM in response to léonie

It is a strange animal. The caption field is privileged with it's own special (and not customizable) Metadata View. From the User Manaul:

To quickly add caption text to all of your images, you can set the Metadata inspector and the Metadata pane of the Inspector HUD to show an enlarged version of the Caption field by itself. Then you apply the caption text to each selected image by entering it in this space.

My guess: this functionality was provided for pros who are required to submit work with captions (this comes up regularly here in ASC-Aperture). I imagine a workflow that involves collecting Images prepared for upload in an Album, and then using the "Large Caption" Metadata View to make sure the captions are correct and correctly formatted (or fill them out) prior to upload.

😐 That's all I got.

--Kirby.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- clarification and formatting.

Jun 13, 2013 8:13 AM in response to N14

Hi Tony,

Now I understand. Afaik, there is no way to do what you want (short of mucking around in Aperture's organ cavity, which is not recommended).

Keywording, in general, has been in need of a thorough make-over for quite awhile (imho). A "Large Keywording" Metadata View is a good idea. Perhaps recommend it to Apple? "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback"

--Kirby.

Jun 13, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby -

My guess: this is a nod towards pros who must submit work with captions (this comes up regularly here in ASC-Aperture).

I've just joined a Stock Agency - the Large Caption field is really useful. And I was hoping to create something similar for the Keywording field…

Thanks for your advice.

As you say - I will contact Aperture about a "Large Keywording" Metadata preset.

Tony

Jun 13, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

A "Large Keywording" Metadata View is a good idea. Perhaps recommend it to Apple?

Extend the family of strange animals even more? I'd prefer another solution:

It would help to have an "Edit" mode for all the Metadata views and text labels alike, preferably to be able to adjust the size of the fonts used in the displays.

As it is now, being unable to increase the size of the fonts used in the overlays, I am forced to reduce the resolution of the screen to enlarge the text. That is really absurd, since it will reduce the resolution of the images as well and the images lose their crispness, but there is no help for it, if I need to be able to read the text. And with Mt. Lion the "Display" menulett is gone, so these settings are no longer quickly accessible.

Jun 13, 2013 2:28 PM in response to léonie

Agree 100%. I thought Apple would consider the feedback a request for funtionality, and would implement it in better way than the already "strange" implentation of "Large Caption".

Something like iPhoto's "iPhoto➞Preferences➞Appearance➞Source Text" setting might work OK.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger - only part of the post showed (my error).

Jun 17, 2013 11:52 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks for thinking of me 🙂

I'll check it out.

Which version of Launchbar do you use? I used to have version 4 for long time and liked it very much.

(or, shudder, Mavericks)

I love the ocean - so Mavericks will be the system for me! Some of the new features will be very useful - tabbed Finder windows, for example, or the Finder tags.

Totally off-topic!

Roll on, thou deep and dark blue Ocean - roll!

Ten thousand fleets sweep over thee in vain;

Man marks the earth with ruin - his control

Stops with the shore; - upon the watery plain

The wrecks are all thy deed, nor doth remain

A shadow of man's ravage, save his own,

When, for a moment, like a drop of rain,

He sinks into thy depth with bubbling groan,

Without a grave, unknelled, uncoffined, and unknown.

Jun 17, 2013 12:02 PM in response to léonie

TOT:

The blue text has a rhythmic swell to it. Very nice. 😎 .

LaunchBar is up to 5.5.1. I just keep upgrading. Does more than I know how to use, but, for example, the Displays Pref. panel is "{activate LB}, d, i, s, p, {Enter}". Of course the shortcuts are dynamic, and can be customized. Highly rec'd for anyone willing to learn how to use it.

Don't like the name "Mavericks"; like the features. Would rather see some user improvements to Aperture ... 👿 .

Jun 17, 2013 12:23 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

The blue text has a rhythmic swell to it. Very nice. 😎 .

Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, Canto IV (1818), Stanza 179.

Don't like the name "Mavericks"; like the features. Would rather see some user improvements to Aperture ... 👿

I was hoping for a "Sea Lion" as the next cat!

New Aperture features - Yes, some are overdue, but let's better not turn this into a new "Aperture 4" honey pot 😁

Re: Customise the "Info Inspector"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.