Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri not helpful

I have not found Siri useful on my iPad mini. Apple store could not help much as it is so noisy there. I decided Siri was just a novelty and stopped trying. I was with friends the other day. They use Siri constantly on iPhone 4S. We were on the same WiFi network. Siri was responding to them. When Siri did respond to me at all it was I don't understand what you want. I speak clearly. Easy question. What is the current temperature?

Siri is not better at home. Does not understand. Apple store told me to talk into the top of the iPad. Not really sure why or where. Again too noisy in the store to be helpful.

Any suggestions or should I just get over it and forget Siri. I do feel extremely foolish in public speaking into the top of a device that ignores me. It would be silly even if Siri responded. Why the thop of the iPad mini?

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 9:43 AM

11 replies

Jun 13, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Demo

If I am in a completely silent environment I may get a reponse that is appropriate to the question. Not always but it is possible. If there is any sound at all in the background SIri either does not respond or the response is not appropriate to the question. Again, very easy questions., time, temp etc. Things I would not ask except to try to use the feature.

Jun 13, 2013 10:56 AM in response to Demo

Demo, I just did a voice recording using AudioMemos. The recording is very clear. I spoke holding the iPad as I normally do. I was not speaking into the top. I used my normal speaking voice.

I tried Siri. No joy. Siri either does not respond at all or a response is not appropriate to the question. I do have to shout for Siri. Would not do that outside of the house. I am home alone. It's silent here.

Jun 13, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Susan Howard

When I speak about recording a video, I'm talking about a 20 second clip that would take up about 15 MB and could be deleted as soon as you test the sound. It's just a way to rule out a problem with the microphone, that's all.

I've seen you post here in the past and I think you know your way around the iPad, so I don't want to suggest things that you tried. Other than resetting all settings, or the most drastic measure of totally restoring the iOS software, I really don't know what else to try.

EDIT

OK - I just saw your reply and we can rule out the mic now. Have you tried resetting all settings? It is time consuming to set them all back up again, but you won't lose any data or content.

Siri not helpful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.