Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes won't recognise library

Itunes won't recognise my library even though I have taken the newer update off and reinstalled an older one. Is there a workaround so that I can get it to recognise all of my music even if it means changing the suffix to each music file?

iMac G5 (20-inch iSight), Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1GB ram

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 2:52 PM

Hello there dog lover,

I have a recommendation for the issue you are experiencing. It sounds like it may be a good idea to recreate the iTunes library. This article will assist with that process:

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451.

Re-creating the iTunes Library file

Note: After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, iPad) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync. The next sync with such a device will take longer and may reset some options since your rebuilt library isn't familiar to the device.

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Locate your iTunes folder (this is the folder that contains the iTunes Library and iTunes Library.xml files).

Operating System Default location of iTunes Folder
Mac OS X
/Users/[your username]/Music
Microsoft Windows XP
\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Music\
Microsoft Windows Vista
\Users\[your username]\Music\
Microsoft Windows 7
\Users\[your username]\My Music\

3. Open your iTunes folder.

4. Drag the "iTunes Library.xml" or "iTunes Music Library.xml" file to the Desktop. If neither is available, learn how to add files back to the Library (because the XML file is not available, playlists and other information will not be available).

5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:

Mac OS X "iTunes Library" or "iTunes Library.itl"
Microsoft Windows "iTunes Library.itl"

6. Open iTunes.

Important: Do not add any content into iTunes at this point (such as by purchasing something from the iTunes Store).

7. Choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

8. Navigate to the "iTunes Library.xml" file on the Desktop.

• Mac users: Click Choose.
  • Windows users: Click Open.

If your Podcasts list in iTunes is empty after following these steps, learn how to add them back into iTunes.

Regards,

Sterling

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2013 2:52 PM in response to dog lover

Hello there dog lover,

I have a recommendation for the issue you are experiencing. It sounds like it may be a good idea to recreate the iTunes library. This article will assist with that process:

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451.

Re-creating the iTunes Library file

Note: After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, iPad) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync. The next sync with such a device will take longer and may reset some options since your rebuilt library isn't familiar to the device.

1. Quit iTunes.

2. Locate your iTunes folder (this is the folder that contains the iTunes Library and iTunes Library.xml files).

Operating System Default location of iTunes Folder
Mac OS X
/Users/[your username]/Music
Microsoft Windows XP
\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Music\
Microsoft Windows Vista
\Users\[your username]\Music\
Microsoft Windows 7
\Users\[your username]\My Music\

3. Open your iTunes folder.

4. Drag the "iTunes Library.xml" or "iTunes Music Library.xml" file to the Desktop. If neither is available, learn how to add files back to the Library (because the XML file is not available, playlists and other information will not be available).

5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:

Mac OS X "iTunes Library" or "iTunes Library.itl"
Microsoft Windows "iTunes Library.itl"

6. Open iTunes.

Important: Do not add any content into iTunes at this point (such as by purchasing something from the iTunes Store).

7. Choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

8. Navigate to the "iTunes Library.xml" file on the Desktop.

• Mac users: Click Choose.
  • Windows users: Click Open.

If your Podcasts list in iTunes is empty after following these steps, learn how to add them back into iTunes.

Regards,

Sterling

itunes won't recognise library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.