Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Boot Camp work with Fusion Drive

After having Boot Camp fail this morning while partitioning the drive, and now having to erase and restore my entire hard drive, 500GB worth of crap, I am wondering -- does Boot Camp work with the fusion drive? My new iMac has one of these things, and I am wondering if that is maybe the reason it did not work.

Thanks

Bob

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 11:52 AM

9 replies

Jun 13, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Csound1

I have 10.8.4.

Hmm I was trying to decide whether to do Boot Camp or VM, and I was planning on doing BootCamp but then using Parallels to connect to the Boot Camp partition. But sounds like Bootcamp might be dicey with the Fusion drive -- and it certainly has been in my experience.

But using a regular VM is more reliable you think? I haven't used a VM since Parallels first came out, and I had trouble with it. Is it pretty good at working with custom hardware (connects through USB) that expects to see a Windows OS?

Thanks,

Bob

Jun 13, 2013 12:37 PM in response to Bob Sabiston

A virtual machine is less risky because it doesn't modify your hard disk. However, it gives you less performance because it doesn't use all the hardware of your computer. Now, all applications that allow you to create virtual machines work correctly with USB devices, that you will be able to connect after installing the software that the application provides in order to make Windows work correctly.

Respecting to apps, you can use Parallels, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox. Parallels gives you a better performance, but if you want a free application, install VirtualBox

Jun 13, 2013 12:42 PM in response to mende1

mende1 wrote:

A virtual machine is less risky because it doesn't modify your hard disk. However, it gives you less performance because it doesn't use all the hardware of your computer.

While that is true the actual performance available depends on how much resources you have, and how much is made available to Windows. (Win 7 in BC on my iMac gets a 5.9, in a VM it gets a 4.8) all the reduction is in the graphics performance. Disk performance in the VM is faster. I have 16GB or Ram, the VM gets 8 of that when it is running.

If games are to played a VM is useless.

Does Boot Camp work with Fusion Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.