Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a network available drive

I want to do something pretty basic, but I wanted to get advice on the right way. I already have a home ethernet and wifi network. I want to set up a seperate hard drive which acts as both a Time Machine back up and also a place to store files which would be shared on the network. Right now, the shared files are on my computer, which means that my computer has to be on to access. Also, there can be privelages issues. I want the hard drive plugged into the network, but not attached to my computer (partly because I want it hidden in the basement for security).

So can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do this? I want it wired with ethernet, so do I just get a network drive, that is, a drive with ethernet, and plug it in on the network and all the computers see that, or do I need to set up some kind of server thing? Can I back and share files with one single network drive or does it need to be two physical drives or one drive partitioned?

If anyone has some basic advice or a link to a site that explains it (Home network for dummies type of thing) that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

David

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 1:22 PM

67 replies

Jun 13, 2013 2:28 PM in response to Cartoonguy

I want it wired with ethernet, so do I just get a network drive, that is, a drive with ethernet, and plug it in on the network and all the computers see that, or do I need to set up some kind of server thing?

Yes, and that in essence would be a file server, just all contained in a specialized box that does only that function. Such devices are usually referred to as "network attached storage" or NAS, so if you search these forums or the Internet, you shoul find information and recommendations.

If you want to use the same system for both Time Machine backups and general sharing, you'll first need to look for an NAS that supports Time Machine, and then it will need either two partitions on the drive or two drives. Time Machine wants it's own volume to back up to.

Regards.

Jun 14, 2013 9:57 AM in response to Pondini

Hmm, well two opposing views on NAS. I guess that's why I needed to ask about this. But isn't an Apple Time Capsule essentially a NAS? What makes it different than any other network hard drive set up to work with Time Machine?

Otherwise, if I just want a network drive anyway, then it seems that Varjak Paw's answer is correct at the very least. Pondini, if you feel that NAS is unreliable for Time Machine, then is the view that the only reliable way to use Time Machine is by a directly connected drive, or only use the Apple Time Capsule product?

Jun 14, 2013 10:02 AM in response to Cartoonguy

Pondini and I don't really have opposing viewpoints. I'm not advocating the use of an NAS as a Time Machine backup resource, only telling you what would be required. I will defer to Pondini and others who have direct experience with using TM with a third-party NAS for issues of reliability.

As to the Time Capsule, yes, it's in essence an NAS, but it's been engineered by Apple, who are obviously the experts in how Time Machine works, specifically as a resource for Time Machine backups. Other NAS manufacturers may or may not have engineered their devices for use with Time Machine, and those that have may or may not have created a reliable solution.

Regards.

Jun 14, 2013 10:11 AM in response to Cartoonguy

Cartoonguy wrote:

. . .

But isn't an Apple Time Capsule essentially a NAS?

No. It doesn't have many of the capabilities of a NAS.

On the other hand, it was designed specifically to work with Time Machine and not much else. Its firmware comes from Apple, is tested by Apple to work with TM, and if changes are made to OSX, Apple co-ordinates them with any needed changes to the TC. A NAS by definition comes from a 3rd party that may or may not have fully tested it, update it when needed, or be around to help when things go south.

I've talked several users through elaborate recovery when their HD failed and the NAS had a problem, too. Most of those users had already contacted the maker and Apple, often repeatedly, and got nowhere. Here's one recent 6-day saga: I can't find my old backups Note the last part of her first post. She was quite inexperienced on day 1, but not any more.

You can put data files on it (but it's not recommended to use it for both TM backups and other data).

Pondini, if you feel that NAS is unreliable for Time Machine, then is the view that the only reliable way to use Time Machine is by a directly connected drive, or only use the Apple Time Capsule product?

If you have a desktop Mac on your network, you can back up to a shared drive on it via your network. That's supported by Apple, and does seem to work pretty well.

Jun 14, 2013 10:23 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks Pondini (and others) appreciate the responses.

Pondini wrote:

If you have a desktop Mac on your network, you can back up to a shared drive on it via your network. That's supported by Apple, and does seem to work pretty well.

Sorry, but can you please explain this more clearly? This sounds to me like you are saying I can back up to a network drive, yet you've also explained that network drives are unreliable and not recommended. Clearly I am misunderstanding something. Sorry about that, but the solution is the most important thing, so I would appreciate understanding what you mean by "a shared drive on my network", as opposed to a Network Attached Storage drive. They sound like exactly the same thing to me, but clearly they are not.

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2013 10:30 AM in response to Cartoonguy

Cartoonguy wrote:

. . .

This sounds to me like you are saying I can back up to a network drive, yet you've also explained that network drives are unreliable and not recommended.

Two different definitions of network drive.

A shared drive on another Mac (internal or directly-connected via USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt) is fine. Time Machine on the Mac being backed-up communicates with OSX on the destination. Again, all software from one source. The drive is just a "dumb receiver" that happens to be on a network from the point of view of the other Mac.

As explained in the earlier link, a NAS has its own programming, often quite powerful in other ways, supplied by the NAS maker. Time Machine dosn't communicate directly with the drive.

Jun 14, 2013 10:58 AM in response to Pondini

Okay, I get what you mean. Thanks. I suppose my understanding of how a NAS works is still a little fuzzy, but you are saying that it has it's own software, or programming, so that complicates things. How about this option: A stand alone hard drive which has an ethernet connection, like this product: http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-Personal-Storage-WDBACG0020HCH-NESN/dp/B004 39GMJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371232399&sr=8-1&keywords=network+hard+drive

It has an ethernet port and it says it's compatible with Time Machine. It doesn't call itself a NAS, but "a personal cloud storage drive" which connects to a network. So is that actually just a NAS by a different name, or would this work for me?

Jun 14, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Cartoonguy

Cartoonguy wrote:

. . .

It has an ethernet port and it says it's compatible with Time Machine. It doesn't call itself a NAS, but "a personal cloud storage drive" which connects to a network. So is that actually just a NAS by a different name, or would this work for me?

It's a NAS, not a "dumb" drive. Look at all the things it will do. HDs don't do that by themselves. Go to WD's site and look up the instruction manual.

Nearly anything that connects via Ethernet is a NAS.

How to create a network available drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.