Why do I think they are gone? I used to have roughly 1,000 pix but now have only 82. I didn't trash them so ... I use iPhoto '11, ver 9.4.3, OS 10.8.4. Following Toad's lead, I held down Cmd and Opt while launchng iPhoto and performed the first three actions. The last item is Rebuild Database and, for whatever reason, I'm hesitant to do that. Maybe because iPhoto says it is a last step? So what do you think?
Where are you seeing those 82 photos? In the library when you launch iPhoto. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select any library displayed in the window. Under the window will the location of the library on the hard drive:
Rebuilding the database is the step you should try. If that fails to let iPhoto view all your photos then do the following.
Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library
- Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
- Click on the Add Library button,
navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
- Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
- In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
- Click on the Create button.
Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.
Note 2: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.
Well, I did all of that. iPhoto Manager found a few more but I am still missing hundreds. So, if I understand, the pox live in Home > Pictures. So I need to go back a couple of weeks in TM, and launch iPhoto to see if they are present. If they are, exit iPhoto and highlight Home > Pictures and click Restore. That get it?
So I need to go back a couple of weeks in TM, and launch iPhoto to see if they are present.
What you need to do is go back a couple of weeks in TM and restore the library and open it? Is that what you meant by the statement above?
Before you do that give this a try:
Starting over from scratch with new library
Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:
1. Open the library package like this.
2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.
3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.
This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.
Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.
Also you only need to answer once. Everyone who's posted to this topic will receive a copy regardless who you reply to.