Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.8 Both hard drives OK, tested - will not boot past startup screen

Okay, I have an early 2008 MacPro, and everything has been running fine, but I was trying to search for something in Finder, and it wouldn't show up, so I checked my other hard drive's permission options - it displayed "Custom" for all users, when I know I had them all set to "Read & Write" previously, so i changed my main user's (on my newer HD on 10.5.8) permission to Read & Write on the original HD with 10.6.8, so I could search its contents, then these error messages poppped up, everytime i hit OK, a new one popped up immediately in its place, with some "Apple AUD" OR "HD" messages (can't remember the exact messsages), so I restarted my computer and now I cannot get past the apple logo screen.

- Attempted selecting both hard drives as startup discs and still hangs at the white apple logo screen.

- I tried booting into Safe Mode and it loads the status bar, and when it's done loading, it simply goes back to the spinning gear.

- Tried booting from my 10.5.8 installation disc and it works, both of my HD's tested "OK" when I verified them.

- Tried resetting PRAM, and even reset SMC, and the problem persists.

One last note: the original HD that came with my Mac Pro, which has 10.6.8 on it as of last year, has a tiny lock icon on the left of the little hard drive graphic.

I'm stressed because I use LOGIC a lot, and I have all of my music projects on these hard drives, and over a million files between both of them. I'd pull my hair out, if I hadn't just shaved my head for summer

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 4:01 PM

Your hard drives may be OK, but the installed systems are not. You need to reinstall OS X on your startup volume. Doing this with Leopard requires your Leopard DVD:

How to Perform an Archive and Install

An Archive and Install will NOT erase your hard drive, but you must have sufficient free space for a second OS X installation which could be from 3-9 GBs depending upon the version of OS X and selected installation options. The free space requirement is over and above normal free space requirements which should be at least 6-10 GBs. Read all the linked references carefully before proceeding.

1. Be sure to use Disk Utility first to repair the disk before performing the Archive and Install.

Repairing the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

2. Do not proceed with an Archive and Install if DU reports errors it cannot fix. In that case use Disk Warrior and/or TechTool Pro to repair the hard drive. If neither can repair the drive, then you will have to erase the drive and reinstall from scratch.

3. Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When you reach the screen to select a destination drive click once on the destination drive then click on the Option button. Select the Archive and Install option. You have an option to preserve users and network preferences. Only select this option if you are sure you have no corrupted files in your user accounts. Otherwise leave this option unchecked. Click on the OK button and continue with the OS X Installation.

4. Upon completion of the Archive and Install you will have a Previous System Folder in the root directory. You should retain the PSF until you are sure you do not need to manually transfer any items from the PSF to your newly installed system.

5. After moving any items you want to keep from the PSF you should delete it. You can back it up if you prefer, but you must delete it from the hard drive.

6. You can now download a Combo Updater directly from Apple's download site to update your new system to the desired version as well as install any security or other updates. You can also do this using Software Update.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2013 4:01 PM in response to emjayen84

Your hard drives may be OK, but the installed systems are not. You need to reinstall OS X on your startup volume. Doing this with Leopard requires your Leopard DVD:

How to Perform an Archive and Install

An Archive and Install will NOT erase your hard drive, but you must have sufficient free space for a second OS X installation which could be from 3-9 GBs depending upon the version of OS X and selected installation options. The free space requirement is over and above normal free space requirements which should be at least 6-10 GBs. Read all the linked references carefully before proceeding.

1. Be sure to use Disk Utility first to repair the disk before performing the Archive and Install.

Repairing the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

2. Do not proceed with an Archive and Install if DU reports errors it cannot fix. In that case use Disk Warrior and/or TechTool Pro to repair the hard drive. If neither can repair the drive, then you will have to erase the drive and reinstall from scratch.

3. Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When you reach the screen to select a destination drive click once on the destination drive then click on the Option button. Select the Archive and Install option. You have an option to preserve users and network preferences. Only select this option if you are sure you have no corrupted files in your user accounts. Otherwise leave this option unchecked. Click on the OK button and continue with the OS X Installation.

4. Upon completion of the Archive and Install you will have a Previous System Folder in the root directory. You should retain the PSF until you are sure you do not need to manually transfer any items from the PSF to your newly installed system.

5. After moving any items you want to keep from the PSF you should delete it. You can back it up if you prefer, but you must delete it from the hard drive.

6. You can now download a Combo Updater directly from Apple's download site to update your new system to the desired version as well as install any security or other updates. You can also do this using Software Update.

Jun 13, 2013 4:22 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't try Archive & Install, because I don't have nearly enough space on either HD, to reinstall the OS. I'll try the other method you listed, and report back.

I don't understand how attempting to switch permissions on my other hard drive, so I could search its' contents in Finder, would result in both hard drives not being able to be booted into?!

Jun 13, 2013 4:30 PM in response to emjayen84

If you made changes to permissions on the entire drive, then you would prevent the installed system from operating properly. This would require completely reinstalling OS X or doing the Archive and Install. The latter is the only non-destructive way of reinstalling Leopard. It's much simple with Snow Leopard and later. Have you tried this:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

Jun 13, 2013 5:26 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

Okay, I ran "Repair Disk" on both hard drives, and both came back without error (OK). However, on the orignal hard drive that came with my MacPro, (the one with 10.6.8 that I was trying to change permissions on, that lead to this whole problem), says "Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit", when I ran the Repair Disk Permissions. The other hard drive passed the repair immediately without error. What is going on here? Do I need to use Disk Warrior? I have never used it before. The HD that didn't pass the Repair Disk Permissions, still has that little lock on the hd icon.

I still don't understand how changing permissions on the original hard drive, made it so I can't boot onto my newer one with 10.5.8. That doesn't make sense to me. I thought it only affected the one that has been changed?

Jun 13, 2013 5:31 PM in response to emjayen84

Do me a favor. First, select the Desktop icon of your 10.6.8 drive. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. Expand the Sharing and Permissions panel at the bottom. Take a snapshot of what's displayed. Second, open Disk Utility, select this drive in the DU sidebar list, click on the Partition tab in DU's main window. Take a snapshot of this. Post them here. To snapshot just a portion of the screen press COMMAND-SHIFT-4. Use the crosshairs to select the desired portion of the screen. When you release the mouse button the image will be saved to your Desktop.

User the Camera icon you will see in the forum message editor's window's toolbar to post each of the snapshots you took.

Jun 13, 2013 5:50 PM in response to emjayen84

Do you have a Snow Leopard DVD? If so, can you boot the computer with it? If so, then reinstall Snow Leopard on your original disk with Snow Leopard on it.

Reinstall OS X without erasing the drive

1. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

2. Reinstall Snow Leopard

If the drive is OK then quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with reinstalling OS X. Note that the Snow Leopard installer will not erase your drive or disturb your files. After installing a fresh copy of OS X the installer will move your Home folder, third-party applications, support items, and network preferences into the newly installed system.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Jun 13, 2013 6:32 PM in response to Kappy

It didn't work. It said "Instal failed" The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. No other details. What should I do? Was it because I had less than a GB left on the hard drive? I thought it was supposed to re-install? (the installer never said "re-install") Wouldn't that just use my already used space from the previous install?..

Jun 13, 2013 6:44 PM in response to emjayen84

And, you did the first part - repaired the hard drive and permissions before installing?

It sounds like you ran out of disk space. Your drive doesn't have sufficient free space on it.

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion's Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Jun 13, 2013 9:07 PM in response to emjayen84

The reinstallation may have failed because of the permissions problem or you may have tried installing Snow Leopard on your Leopard drive instead of the one that already has Snow Leopard installed. What happened when it failed to repair permissions? What error message?

There's a limit as to what one can do with little free disk space to work with, and not knowing exactly what the problem is with the drive.

Jun 13, 2013 9:29 PM in response to Kappy

But I DO have enough HD space. 94GB.. and I tried installing Snow Leopard twice on the correct drive..the one with snow leopard already on it. The error both times just said: "The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail." That's it.

Edit: it probably has to do with the fact that the HD has 10.6.8 and the snow leopard disc is 10.6.4.. which is insane that it won't let me install the version that came right before it. It's not like 10.6.8 comes on a disc.

10.5.8 Both hard drives OK, tested - will not boot past startup screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.