Hi Dave, I'd be a bit leery also, many of them play havoc with Macs, what are your percieved needs?
ClamXAV, free Virus scanner...
Little Snitch, stops/alerts outgoing stuff...
I'll add my bit on this, as well.
Some anti-virus solutions can slow down your Mac, but to be honest, the best anit-virus app is you, the user and your brain.
- Don't visit questionable websites or website you are unsure about.
- Don't install pirated software or software downloaded from a questionable or unknown websites or untrutsted sources.
- Java is a vulnerability right now, if you do not need it, don't use it.
- Use a browser filter and pop-up blocker
- Don't open email attachments from email addresses that you do not recognize.
- Install security updates when they become available
- Educate yourself as to what threats are common and active.
- In effect, use your own brain as the antivirus filter.
Follw that advise and in MOST cases, you will be fine and won't feel the need to have to install antivirus software.