Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor "failed"

Hi,

I'm finishing the last of five projects. Each time I've done the same thing with files that have all been generally the same size. i edited the project which is about 1 hour 15 minutes in FCP-X. I've sent it to compressor from the file menu. In compressor, I selected "uncompressed 10 bit 4.2.2. This gave me a large file but then I sent that to iDVD to be compressed and made into a DVD, thus allowing me to only have it compressed once. The first four went well but the last one (and not the largest) is causing me problems. First it failed. I re-submitted everything and it failed again. I shut down everything and tried again. No luck. I tried to use various compressions (MPEG etc.). None of them work. At one time I saw the project name come up onto my desk top as this is where it saves the files before I drag them into iDVD. After a moment or two, the desktop file name disappears and nothing else happens. On trying other compressions, I got this message once or twice: The job could not be submitted because the cluster could not be found.

I've never done anything with clusters so I don't know where this came from.

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 with FCP-X 10.0.8 and Compressor 4.0.7. I just checked and I have over 300M of space on my internal HD (desktop) and I edit on an external with over 2G on it.

Can anyone advise me how I can get past this and finish this last project? 😟

cheers,

Jack

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 6:40 PM

8 replies

Jun 13, 2013 7:15 PM in response to nyjack1953

Why use Compressor at all? Just export a master file – Uncompressed, if that's what you want – and bring that into iDVD.

As to the Compressor submit problem. Open Compressor and in the menu menu toolbar, hit Reset Background Processing. Give it a short section of a QT movie as a test. If that doesn't work, I would download Compressor Repair and run that.

Russ

Jun 14, 2013 5:42 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ,

I'm in the office now. I'll try that when I get home this evening. I forgot to mention that one of the main reasons that I use compressor is to add a chapter. I was told that adding an "M" in FCP-X will not add a chapter as it did in FCP. For this project, it is not completely necessary to have the chapter as it is a school play and I was only adding "Act 2"". The parents can deal with it if they can't access Act 2 directlyl.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll let you know how things go this evening.

cheers,

Jack

Jun 14, 2013 5:49 AM in response to nyjack1953

nyjack1953 wrote:

I was told that adding an "M" in FCP-X will not add a chapter as it did in FCP.

Hey Jack.

That info has been obsolete for about a year. Chapter markers can be added in FCPX. Option M sets a marker and brings up a dialogue window so you make it a chapter marker (which isn't the default) and set a poster frame.

Russ

Compressor "failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.